Goats +emus ?????

could i get emus in the same pasture as my goats
is it hard to raise them or are ostriches better???
You could probably raise a year old OR older emu with some goats... I wouldn't do younger than a year (they are too springy lol and have strict diet requirements). My mother in law's goat and my emus share a fence line, and at first they were spooked by each other, but now they follow each other around. The emus will let the goat come and sniff them. I have a (terrible quality) video of the goat with his nose right inside one of my emu's chest feathers and she's just standing there, watching him. When the emus get excited and run about, he runs after them. Due to the emu's flighty instincts, I would not just toss in a few emus with some goats, make sure they get acquainted over a period of time (like a few months).

I bet they would be just fine together, but my only worry is the feed... I wouldn't want the goats eating emu feed and vice versa.

Raising emus isn't hard, it just comes down to room to run, a good fence, correct feed and interaction with people. My emus are like big puppy dogs. And make sure they can't get their feet or necks caught in anything or eat anything they shouldn't (trust me, they will try every chance they get).

From what I've read, ostriches are a bit more aggressive towards EVERYONE. I don't think it would be a good idea to put them with goat, but I don't know from experience.
idunno.gif

Here's my experience about keeping other species in with emus:
Our emu has always been very aggressive towards any animal shorter than a llama.
She got along well in the same pasture with a pony and certain individual llamas, but not all of them.

Our emu loves to chase and kick at: sheep, goats, chickens, turkeys, peacocks, ducks and dogs, so she was never housed with them, but we also had a neighbor that kept her young emu in a pasture with a flock of white ducks, an alpaca and a llama.
Our emu may just be weird,maybe not all emus show aggression towards smaller animals, it probably depends on the personality quirks of all involved.

Feeding is a big problem with mixed species. Goats are so pushy around food that this was one of the the main reasons I never tried keeping goats in with the emu, even if they settled down and got along otherwise.

Going by the awful horror story my vet has told me about injuries he has witnessed while working with ostriches, I would never even consider getting them! They are very dangerous birds!

Not sure if this will help at all but my two emus used to be in the same location as the sheep and the only time they really bothered the sheep/chased them away was during eating .... But yeah like I said I'm still new to this whole emu thing

Last edited:
My Rheas since 1992 have shared 3 paddocks daytime with Shetland ponies, 30+ Pygmy goats, Wallabies, Llamas, Peafowl, Turkeys, Pigs and what ever crosses their path and night time all come to their own feeding sheds and homes.
Calla

Last edited:
Hey, Calla. My eyes okay today -- Autumn.

8 wild emus in the house-clearing yesterday: Eric with Chick Uno, Number One (come home!), 'Darkwild' (a fine wild bird -- but can't mix it with Eric), two birds, probably males, 'in orbit' with Darkwild, and a breeding-pair 'ghosting' about on the far side.

SE

Why do you need to keep them together? Is it a space issue, or do you only have one pasture? We kept chickens and goats together, but the goats were ALWAYS in the chicken food. I imagine it would be the same with emu feed. The thing with goats is, if they eat too much feed, they can bloat and possibly die. The goats will literally eat themselves to death. Unless the emu feed is out of reach of the goats, which will be difficult, there is no way to stop goats from eating it.

emu do great with anything as long as they are raised with them however a goat will eat till they explode there intestine's I would not mix them unless you can keep them out of emu food

Back
Top Bottom