Goats in early pregnancy * bit of an update*

Sherry

Songster
12 Years
Apr 8, 2007
Southern WV
Today is about day 106 for an 18month old pygmy goat. First time Mama. Today I noticed she has had a bloody discharge.

Is this a sign she is aborting? Can this discharge so far in advance of delivery be normal?

She is eating and drinking normally.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Sorry I don't have an answer for you. About 3 weeks before Daisy gave birth she started loosing her plus and then dripped mucus until the final day. I just thought she was in heat. Now I'm way more educated. I hope someone can give you an answer. Do you have pictures of her vulva? Maybe she is further along in her pregnancy? Just a thought
idunno.gif

Yes, it sounds like an abortion. At no point should you see a bloody discharge until post partem. There can be a slightly orange-y color, or creamy white, or clear...but not bloody.

I do hope she doesn't abort on you!
fl.gif

this is from one of my goat resource websites...hope it helps you.

Vaginal discharges/abortions

Red, brown or bad-smelling discharges are not normal and may indicate early termination of the pregnancy. Abortions can be caused by many different things, including interruption of the fetal blood supply when hit by another goat, poor nutrition (insufficient energy), stress brought on by being moved or having feed changed or becoming ill, abortion diseases, ingesting poisonous plants, fever, surgery, malformation of the fetus during development, or administration of labor-inducing drugs like Dexamethazone.

In most cases, the drug of choice to attempt to stop an abortion is injectable oxytetracycline (LA 200, Biomycin or equivalent) given sub-cutaneously (SQ). If the producer is not successful in stopping the abortion, then a single injection of 2 cc's Lutalyse (prostaglandin) given IM is necessary to clean her out so that infection does not cause her death.

I just checked her again. The blood is dried, not fresh looking. She is active, eating drinking, all normal. I guess I'll just keep an eye one her. I know its day 106 because I don't keep the buck in with them. Plus she is quite large so I wouldn't think she was just recently bred.

fl.gif

I had a FF that did something like this and it was from the baby dying in utero. It too a few weeks for her to abort it and it was mummified when it did come out. Some do this and some dont. Hoping for the best with your doe.

She's still acting just fine this morning, eating and drinking. She lifted her tail at one point and her picky and vulvar areas look clean and normal. Just has the dried blood and some poo stuck in her tail.
Her tail doesn't seem like it's rec'd an injury either as that was my next thought.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom