Goat's udder growing, not pregnant

I really appreciate your expertise. I will start milking her ASAP. I can't believe you can get milk from bucks!! SO weird...........

My Nigerian Goat is not pregnant, but her udder appears that she is producing milk. Will it dissipate naturally; milking her is not much of an option.

My Nigerian Goat is not pregnant, but her udder appears that she is producing milk. Will it dissipate naturally; milking her is not much of an option.
What you have is a precocious milker. Sometimes goats will come into milk without ever having been bred. My neighbors had a Saanen doe that gave a gallon of milk every day for years and she had never been exposed to a buck. Occasionally bucks will come into milk too. It isn't common but it isn't rare either. I had one and I had to milk him out about once a week.

Depending how much milk your doe produces you may have to milk her to prevent infection. In the case of milking bucks I know of two that died of mastitis because their owners did not relieve their udders. The same could happen to your doe so keep an eye on the udder. The milk may dissipate on its own and again it may not.

A precocious milker is not a precocious milker because of a false pregnancy. I have seen several bucks that produced milk and in fact I owned one. I knew of a Saanan doe that gave a gallon of milk each day for years and she had never been bred. She had never even been exposed to a buck. If you want the milk, go ahead and milk the doe. If you don't, don't. If the udder gets full you will have to milk her out to prevent infection. I had to periodically milk my buck for that reason.
Milked a buck?

Milked a buck?
Yup. Actually one day curiosity got the better of me and on a whim I sampled some of his milk. To my surprise, it had good flavor, not goaty at all. I even sent a sample to the lab. Came back 3.2% butterfat, CMT negative. Milking bucks may not be common, but they aren't all that rare either.

Back
Top Bottom