Goats VS Cattle

.... the only thing with goats is that the one time I had their milk, I didn't like it.

That's my problem, too. I would LOVE to have a milk goat vs. a milk cow, because goats ARE easier to maintain than cattle. But, I can hardly handle goat cheese in small doses, so I'm betting I wouldn't be able to drink goat milk. My family consumes over a gallon of milk a day, and most of that is drinking it in a glass, not putting it on cereal or cooking with it, so taste is a major issue.

That's my problem, too. I would LOVE to have a milk goat vs. a milk cow, because goats ARE easier to maintain than cattle. But, I can hardly handle goat cheese in small doses, so I'm betting I wouldn't be able to drink goat milk. My family consumes over a gallon of milk a day, and most of that is drinking it in a glass, not putting it on cereal or cooking with it, so taste is a major issue.

I love goat cheese, but milk is different.... My family also goes through over a gallon a day, probably closer to two gallons when you count all the dairy products. If there was such a breed of goat, who's milk isn't so.... goaty, then I would look into it. If not, I really need a list of cattle breeds that would work (also, I couldnt keep a billy, they're mean, and STINK!

I love goat cheese, but milk is different.... My family also goes through over a gallon a day, probably closer to two gallons when you count all the dairy products. If there was such a breed of goat, who's milk isn't so.... goaty, then I would look into it. If not, I really need a list of cattle breeds that would work (also, I couldnt keep a billy, they're mean, and STINK!

Yes, bucks smell. But a properly raised buck is not mean. Even during rut mine respects me, he is gentle and mellow. A child could lead him with a piece of floss, he is so easygoing. Never once has he attempted to hurt me or mate with my leg. He does like to be petted, which is a bit of a problem because the buck stank kind of sticks to you. I give him love though, still.

The milk I am getting from my Nigerian dwarf is not at all goaty. I've had fresh alpine milk too, not goaty. Store bought goats milk tastes nasty for some reason. Milk fresh from the goat is creamy and sweet. Apparently OLD milk can get that rank, goaty flavor. Or a doe who is kept with or near a buck, and his perfume rubs off on her. If it can be hard to wash buck smell off MY skin, then when you milk a doe who is with a buck, it will definitely taint the milk. My buck and his wether friend live a far distance from my girls and do NOT share a fenceline.

Hmmmmm, that might be it, this was store bought goat milk
sickbyc.gif
. I'll find some fresh goat's milk, and see if I like it

Goats are smart.

Cattle are not, they are know to try to eat barb wire.

Goats are smaller and can have more in small spaces.

Goats are escape artists.

Cattle give more milk over all, but need bigger space.

Cattle are to dumb to escape.

must I go on?

Oh don't bet on that.. My neighbor's cattle have jumped the 6 foot fence.. plowed through another fence.. and tore through a barricade to get to my garden for 7 years in a row.... they are more graceful than one would think.. and fences don't work to keep them in when there is something they want on the other side...

I've never heard about cattle eating everything, in fact, I've heard quite the opposite, and that it's the goats that eat everything. I guess it depends.

yeah.. cattle will eat anything.. I saw one eating the seat belt out of a car (no idea where she found it either)

Quote:
Cattle will eat metal while grazing.. but will also make a point of eating some weird stuff.. the seat belt I mentioned above is just an example..

for the record.. I prefer goats.. they have a lot more personality than the average cow and are easier to manage

My rule for uncut males are always watch them, even our small Nigerian buck can take me out at the knee caps if I am not careful. And the biggest thing with bulls, from what I read, is that people who own , and don't know what they are doing,treat them like pets, not as 1200+ LB creatures that on a turn of a dime can kill you.

My rule for uncut males are always watch them, even our small Nigerian buck can take me out at the knee caps if I am not careful. And the biggest thing with bulls, from what I read, is that people who own , and don't know what they are doing,treat them like pets, not as 1200+ LB creatures that on a turn of a dime can kill you.

don't plan on keeping it like a pet ( dexters are only 700-800 lbs) It would just be nice to keep my own bull. Thanks for the advice. Do you have experience with sheep?

Back
Top Bottom