Goats with a calf

Funsize

Hatching
Oct 20, 2018
i have 2 mini Nubian goats a doe and a wether. My son has shown them in 4H as a cloverbud and now he can market so we are getting a calf in the spring. I’m wondering how I can keep the 3 together? Our set up right now is a 10x10 barn/shed that we leave the door open for them to go in and out at they please into a 30x40 fenced area. The goats are fed hay, veggie scraps, and little to no grain. The calf will be bottle fed but when we start the weaning how do I feed it and keep the goats out? Or can the goats eat it too? I want to make sure the calf gets what it needs. Will the calf gobble it down right away or does it “graze” on it? I also have chickens that go in the same fenced area are there any concerns with them and the calf? Thanks so much for any information.

Welcome to BYC! Even bottle calves eat solid food....I know that they eat grass and hay....
When we had goats we lived next door to a cattle farm. Goat kids would go under the barbed wire fence and play with the calves.
We now have chickens and live next door to a different cattle farm. Our chickens avoid the cattle.
greta and the cow (3 of 1).jpg

i have 2 mini Nubian goats a doe and a wether. My son has shown them in 4H as a cloverbud and now he can market so we are getting a calf in the spring. I’m wondering how I can keep the 3 together? Our set up right now is a 10x10 barn/shed that we leave the door open for them to go in and out at they please into a 30x40 fenced area. The goats are fed hay, veggie scraps, and little to no grain. The calf will be bottle fed but when we start the weaning how do I feed it and keep the goats out? Or can the goats eat it too? I want to make sure the calf gets what it needs. Will the calf gobble it down right away or does it “graze” on it? I also have chickens that go in the same fenced area are there any concerns with them and the calf? Thanks so much for any information.
Yes,We did until the calf got huge. You can keep them together, but it's really your call. REMEMBER, males needs a low calcium diet. They are prone to Urinary Calculi. Some have very narrow urethra's. We use Ammonium chloride (supplemental) for our weathers. Helps break down calcium which blocks the urinary tract and causes pain and possible fatality.
I don't let my chickens or duck mix with my goats. It's a bio hazard in my opinion.
4dbd6a7e60705eb853057e6f6d77ee55.jpg

When it comes to feeding the calf grain, you will need to separate it from the goats, if need be only give it 15-30 min to eat grain before picking up the extra and turning it back loose. This will also train it to clean it's bowl versus leaving it out and it going stale. If you need any more help let me know, I have a show heifer, a 15 month old Brahma.

Back
Top Bottom