1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Going in coop fulltime?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Morgan7782, May 22, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I have two 7 week old pullets, one EE and one BR. They are SO ready to be outside in the coop, but I had a few questions.

Our night *lows* are 46-52 degrees, and will only get warmer.

When can I move these two outside FULLTIME without a heat lamp?

Their coop is rainproof, draftproof and they are very comfortable in it. I am only worried about the cold.

When will they be totally feathered out to withstand most temps? I have pictures as well if needed to see how they have feathered out thusfar.

Any advice = helpful. Thanks!

2. smith2

smith2 Songster

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    They should be feathered out by now. Mine are about the same age and have been outside now for about a week. Our temps at night here are similar to yours. I would think they should be fine unless it drops back into the 30's.

3. eggsellent

eggsellent In the Brooder

Mar 27, 2010
    South Central Indiana
    I put mine out right at 7 weeks, without the heat lamp and they were fine. We even had a few frosts and it did not bother them a bit!

4. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    How many chicks did you guys have? I am not sure if that makes a difference, but I only have 2 pullets.

The coop is bedded down nicely with shavings, would straw be a better warmth holder?

They also have nest boxes that they love, both going on top of and going inside them. I was thinking of moving them out full time this coming Wednesday. That would make them 8 weeks old, but I can't have a heat light out there for safety purposes. I am glad to know I will be able to move them without having a extra heat source out there. Our backyard is well protected from wind and harsher elements, but it will only be getting hotter here in Sacramento. Thanks for the assurance [​IMG]

When they are too cold, I have read a few places it will be obvious and they will seem miserable. Are there any telltale signs I should keep watch for? Thanks again for any help [​IMG]

5. eggsellent

Mar 27, 2010
    South Central Indiana
    We have 12 which can huddle together for warmth, but I think 2 will be fine in those temps. at 7 weeks mine were feathered out well enough to be happy. You could hang a brooder lamp out there for them and only use it at night, if they sleep right under it they are cold, but I found mine would sleep far away from it and they did not need it anymore.

6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Oh alright, cool, yeah they are outside all day until it drops to about 55, then I bring them in because I didn't want to take any chances. Overprotective mom huh? LOL! Is a brooder lamp a heat light? That's why I need to wait until I am certain they can handle whatever temps come, because I can't hang any sort of light out there, especially a heat light. I am not comfortable leaving something like that unattended, even for a bit.

I feel better about letting them out full time this Wednesday though. Both have very little down, if any at all. And when it get's cold here, at least in the house, they huddle together but they don't do a screaming peeping like I hear when they are uncomfortable.

7. eggsellent

Mar 27, 2010
    South Central Indiana
    I was like that too! The first 2 nights I was outside every half hour all night long checking them and the lamp! If your coop is as draft proof as you say they would be fine without it. It is hard to let go though, good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: