going into coop when affraid

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crazyhen, Oct 16, 2008.

1. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Does everyones hens run for the coop when noise or anything happens and stay there for an hour or just go and rest there? My hens are doing that if they hear a strange voice or anything. These are my first so I didn't know.
    Some times they seem to be in more than out. Jean

2. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    My hens are not afraid of anything and they are in the coop way more than the run. On the other hand when I open a door to let them free range they ignore the coop until dark.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yes. Mine go to the coop if it's close by or one of their other safety zones. It's a good habit for them to have.

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Mine go in and out ALL day, I dont think they run in it alot for saftey.... Maybe b/c I have a rooster and they know he will kick anythings butt if it come near (he's a BIG meany)

He makes his rooster noises if he thinks somthing is wrong/different and they will make noises back if they all think something is wrong !!!

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Mine stand there and stare at the intruder for a few seconds and then SLOWLY head for the hen house. Very orderly and quiet like. They are on a mission and don't want to be spotted moving away from the danger area. They should have little hard hats and machine guns the way they go about it.

6. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    My hens go in and out of their pen when the gate is open. Sometimes they just hang out in there for long periods, which makes me happy, because then I know that they don't hate being in there!! They put themselves away a little before dark and I just close the gate. I have a lot of different things around in my yard that the hens can hide under when a hawk flies over head. Things like utility trailer, horse trailer, son's broke down car, and they can go into the stall if they want, also a couple trees or bushes.

7. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Jeepers so they aren't scared to death, just want to hang out,cool.
    I love all those weird things they do. Jean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by