Going into Coop when we aren’t home

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mkhuskins, Sep 22, 2019.

1. mkhuskins

mkhuskins Hatching

Sep 22, 2019
    We have 12 chickens. One is 18 weeks and the rest are 9 weeks. We moved them to the coop approximately 3 weeks ago and we have an automatic coop door that closes at sunset. We did the whole lock them in for a few days but they are super inconsistent about going in at night. Some will but others won’t. However, two nights this week we were gone and got home way past sunset and found all twelve had gone in both nights (I was sure I would be carrying them in). The very next night when we were home 5 didn’t go in. Wondering why they all might have gone in when we were gone but not other nights?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Crossing the Road

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Stop giving them treats and scratch. If they see you, they may wait to retire expecting you to bring them something.

3. mkhuskins

mkhuskins Hatching

Sep 22, 2019
    Stop giving it to them ever or at a certain time?

EggWalrus likes this.
  4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    For a while till they no longer anticipate treats when they see you outside.

aart, EggWalrus, Mimi13 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Free Ranging

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    The 9 weeks old are in the teen age years, so to speak. They want to stay out late at night on the street corner, so to speak. Set your automatic door to close a little later. I would guess the nights you were gone, perhaps it got dark a bit earlier, or was a bit windy or wet, thus encouraging them in.

They will go to bed eventually. Just make sure the door stay open long enough, so they are not trapped outside.

MK

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Exactly!

Sequel, EggWalrus and Mimi13 like this.
  7. EggWalrus

EggWalrus Free Ranging

Aug 14, 2017
    Southeast Alabama
    Set the door to close about an hour after dark. You won't find them in the house if they are getting locked out. :thumbsup

Sequel likes this.
  8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - they are still learning the routine. Great advice from @Mrs. K .

9. Mybackyardpeepers

Mybackyardpeepers Crowing

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    I agree with the younger ones just don't want to go in as early. My youngsters are usually the last to go in.

Sequel, rosemarythyme and EggWalrus like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: