Going on 2nd day of lethargic hen, extended crop and closed eyes!

Hallwithrow

Hatching
Sep 5, 2019
Looking for advice for my sweet Hen. I discovered her on Tuesday afternoon covered with ants and nestled down in the corner of her run. I immediately brought her indoors and cleaned her. She smelled bad so I felt around and found that her crop was full. She was awake and acting a little off but nothing like she is today. I have had her inside in a warm basket since bringing her inside. I have syringe fed her ACV and water and olive oil. I have massaged her crop several times and have helped her expel food (mainly yellow liquid) 4 times now. Last night she was able to drink water herself if I lifted the water container to her beak. Today she has her eyes closed and not moving. She actually tipped over when I put her down after massaging her crop today. She seems awake when I pick her up without opening her eyes but I am I having to syringe feed her water, ACV, and olive oil today. I also gave her about a spoonful of plain yogurt last night and again a little this morning. Any other ideas of what I should do next? Thank you in advance for your help!

Here she is right now not very happy at all.
6B8CDDCE-CC70-42D8-9BD7-11E010739C76.jpeg

Do you see any wounds on her anywhere where there could be maggots? How does her vent look? How does her crop feel? If it is boggy and puffy, do not massage it or make her vomit. I would treat it like sour crop if she has a sour or bad odor from her beak. Crop disorders can frequently happen when something else is going on. I have only seen crop problems with a reproductive disorder.

Does she normally lay eggs? How old is she? What do you feed her and do you have granite grit available? Here are a couple of good articles about dealing with crop disorders:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ntion-and-treatments-of-crop-disorders.67194/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

She doesn’t appear to have any wounds. She has never been a good layer so she hasn’t produced any eggs in about 6 months.

Her crop is squishy. It went down and became hard yesterday but today is full and squishy again.

She free-ranges in my yard and has scratch. Earlier this week I saw her eating my grapes, tomatoes and corn. She also eats long grass if she finds some.

So she doesn’t eat a balanced chicken feed? Do you give her grit to help digest the grasses, and grains? I wonder if she might be suffering from internal laying or some other reproductive disorder, and that has caused a crop disorder.

Yes, she eats grit and a scratch mix from our feed shop. She eats tons of fresh veggies/fruit too.

She is acting much more lively this morning but still has eyes closed.

I gave her water, ACV, olive oil and started monistat 7 last night and will repeat today. I think it is sour crop.

Appreciate all your good thoughts and advice!

Yes, she eats grit and a scratch mix from our feed shop. She eats tons of fresh veggies/fruit too.

She is acting much more lively this morning but still has eyes closed.

I gave her water, ACV, olive oil and started monistat 7 last night and will repeat today. I think it is sour crop.

Appreciate all your good thoughts and advice!
Can you post a photos of the scratch mix? Scratch is not a complete poultry feed - do you feed something like Chick Starter or Layer feed too?

Where are you located in the world - are you in the US?

Back
Top Bottom