1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Going on a short vacation, what to do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by engelberry, Jun 27, 2008.

1. engelberry

engelberry New Egg

Jun 27, 2008
    I've got 4 2-month old chicks who have made the transition to the coop as well as the tractor with no problem. Now we're going on vacation for 3 nites, will they be okay with ample food and water? The coop has a high small door, only accessible through the ladder (the steps are pretty well placed apart), it is fully enclosed around and over it as well. Will they be okay, food and water-wise?

2. beckysuzp

beckysuzp Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2008
    Altmar, NY
    I wouldn't think so. I just had to go away for three nights for a training for work and had someone come over once a day to feed/water/check on everybody. I have 6 5-week old chickens out in the coop. They usually finish their water every 24 hrs or so... maybe it would depend on the size of your waterer and feeder... lol

3. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Mine would not be ok. I would have someone come and check on them. They need "fresh" water daily in my opinion.

4. palabeco

palabeco Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    S.W. PA
    We have left our chickens for 2 nights, with 2 full waterers and 2 full feeders. Anything longer and you really should have someone come over and give fresh water and food and remove any eggs laid.

5. flock-mama

flock-mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    Thats what I do to, leave an extra water and feed. If you do have someone to check on them, great. But I am sure they will be ok. Have a nice trip!

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

We went to Philly for 3 days last August and I had my sister come in and give them water and check on the food after she got out of work...
    I had one Standard Leghorn, and one Bantam Silkie/Cochin mix.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by