Going Outside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dandjchild, Jun 30, 2008.

1. dandjchild

dandjchild New Egg

Jun 30, 2008
    I have just completed my playhouse coop and am getting ready take my 4 Buff Os outside in 2 weeks. Do I need to close the coop door at night with no food or water or can I just leave it open? I also wanted to let them roam the yard when we are outside, but is there anyway to get them back inside when I want to go in.

2. coltsrox

coltsrox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Maggie Valley, NC
    careful make sure they are in a contained area or you'll NEVER get them back. but ALWAYS have food and water access to them i would put them inside if they have grub and water but for the first nights you have to have it closed so they knwo to come in at night but maybe after 4-5 days of clsing them in see what they do and i think you keep it open but maybe u should seek more opions,sorry!

3. Salt and Light

Salt and Light Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    I'm a long way from being an expert, but I let my 2-week old chicks out in the evening. They forage around for a while and either head back to the coop by themselves or I get after them with a broom. As soon as I start waving the broom, they ALL make a bee-line for the coop! <smile>

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Your chickens will not wander and roam at night. Chickens go to roost at dark. They seek high close spaces for their own protection. Chickens go into a hynotic kind of sleep at night.

They need to be locked in their house at night for their own protection. Predators love a good chicken dinner. If you leave your hen house open they come back every night until you no longer have any chickens.

I would suggest limited supervised roaming of your yard. they will eat and scratch up everything you don't ant them too. They will eat your flowers, gardens, and other plants unil the dirt is bare.

Build them a secure run. Shut them in their house at night. You should have chickens that live a very long life.

Let them range, leave them unprotected and you will have many many creatures roaming toward the scent of chickens that will feast on your birds until they are all gone.

Keep food and water available at all times. Especially since it is summer they need lots of fresh cool water daily. If they don't have enough feed available they will begin to pick and peck each other. They will start feather eating too. They will pick another chicken until they are a bloody mess. If they are hungry and don't have enough food available they will also eat their own eggs.

Save yourself some worries. Lock them in at night. give them a secure run int he day. Keep feed and water available at all times.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by