Going to a farm to pick out chickens. What should I be watching for?

ThinkingChickens

Songster
8 Years
Feb 18, 2011
We are going to a family farm on Sunday to pick up three chickens. They are all about 1.5-2 months old and I'm told, hand raised. So, what do I need to look out for? We told the woman we wanted a Black SexLink, a Rhone Island Red and an Americauna but might consider other breeds if one of those isn't available. We are only getting three hens. Can I trust these will be sexed correctly? Is it pretty obvious by this age? Any things I should look for in terms of health? I have two books but neither is helping me out on these key issues and I don't want my son to have a bad experience with unhealthy pets. =0(

Last edited:
make sure their feathers look clean(as in no mites) . be sure to ask if they have been wormed or have any vaccinations(some do and some dont do this). also look at the leggs and make sure there isn't any sign of leg mites. also look at their interaction with each other. are they really calm or having fun and being chickies? the EE should have greenish legs. RIR should have a straight comb. usually the more feathered the chick, is could be a good possibility that it is a female.

good luck! use you own instinct on health and you should do well

If the barn doesn't look clean or their water and food looks empty or unclean or they don't let you inside the barn RUN, RUN, RUN.

Back
Top Bottom