Going to get some eggs soon :)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lilstar, Apr 8, 2011.

1. lilstar

lilstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Tomorrow morning we sign the lease at our new place, which has both adequate space and an approving landlord for chickens! Have always wanted to get a few hens. I've been doing lots of reading, on this site and elsewhere, and asking questions of friends and family! My brother has 30 or so chickens which produce fertile eggs, so he'll be giving me my hatching eggs. He's never hatched his own before (well, until now, but he's hatching them under a broody hen!) so he's not much help for the hatching process, but he'll be tons of help getting our coop/enclosure set up and general hen care. We'll be moving into our chicken-friendly house on May 1, but I was wondering if its possible to start incubating a week early. I was thinking it'd be SO fun to surprise the kids on easter morning with an incubator full of eggs! The only problem is, a week in, I'll have to unplug for an 11 minute drive to the new place. Is it possible to do this safely? Battery operated heat lamp for the drive? I haven't bought the incubator yet, but there's a feed store close by I was going to pick one up from closer to when we're getting our eggs. So I don't know exactly what brand it'll be.

2. Luke13:34

Luke13:34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    The Naugatuck Valley
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Congrats on your new place and chicken-friendly landlord. [​IMG]

I don't have an answer for you, but I'm sure someone will be along soon who does.

Just give them a second, they are busy watching eggs hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by