Going to have 4 hens all different breeds. which 4 would you choose ?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Reg, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Reg

Reg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Luton
    Hi

I have never had Chickens before, I'm only going to Keep 4 this time.

I would like different Breeds for variety of colour.

I have found a local breeders who keep different breeds together.

So Far i could have Light Sussex, Blue, Brown Nick, Rhode Rock.

If you were picking 4 for looks & eggs which would you choose ?

Reg

A photo would be nice !

2. The Turken Lady

The Turken Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    If I Personally had to chose a breed..I would pick..

A turken..
    They are so sweet,good layers,and do good in any climate.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  3. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    I would have a sussex and I would get a Golden Sexlink ( Comet ) They are wonderful everyday layers of jumbo eggs and are very friendly.

4. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    I love my easter eggers and my buff orpingtons. They are AWESOME layers and they are very sweet. If i had to pick four breeds i would choose
    1. easter egger ( for colored eggs and mine are really sweet )
    2. Buff orpington
    3. Rhode island red ( great layers of brown eggs )
    4. would probably be a tie between cochin, light sussex, and polish. The polish are very odd looking and lay bantam white eggs. The polish is the first one that everybody talks about when they see my chickens because they have a little fro

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'm guessing Luton is a little north of London, hence I'll think English breeds.

For color variation, I'd suggest one each red, yellow, black, and white. There are variations of these, such as many different shades of red or maybe you want to substitute blue for black, but I suggest trying to get as varied as you can. The lighter ones are more noticable at a distance but the darker ones offer a nice contrast and are often more striking up close.

For the red, I suggest you consider Speckled Sussex. A beautiful dark red bird and striking pattern. The Light Sussex will cover you for white. Probably a Buff Orpington for the Yellow. I don't know what that blue is you mention. It would probably do for the black, though a Black Orpington is an interesting bird. All those should be readily available in England and should together give you a beautiful flock. You should be able to Google those and come up with some nice photos.

6. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

If you are going for an assorted egg basket get a Barred Rock, Sussex or Wyandotte for brown eggs, a Amerucana, Legbar or Arucana for blue/green, a Marans for dark eggs, and a Polish or Dorking for white eggs. Are you getting them for eggs, meat, what? If you want eggs and meat, get dualpurpose breeds so you can stew them when they get too old to lay. Or not, if you name them as I did. [​IMG]
    All of the breeds I mentioned come in different colors.
    Are you getting them for eggs? Barred Rocks are pretty!
    [​IMG]

A Light Sussex (white and black), Rhode Island or NH Red, Australorp (black) and Buff Orpington would look good together. So would many other breeds.....depends upon what you can find in your area!
    A White Rock,brownish Amerucana, RH Red, and some kind of black chicken would also be pretty.

7. awesomefowl

Ooops - I killed the thread!!! [​IMG] sorry!

8. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    [​IMG]

I have 4 Gold Sexlinks that are very hardy layers and (if I say so myself) BEAUTIFUL

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also suggest Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, and White Leghorns are pretty darn cute too

9. The Turken Lady

The Turken Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Oh,don't get me started with white leghorns! They're so cute!! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    And..I love your rooster. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. awesomefowl

Leghorns are mean! And paranoid--don't get one!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by