1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Going to incubate for the first time.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mochicken, Sep 26, 2011.

1. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    My uncle was kind enough to let me use his Janoel JN8-48 incubator, its apparently a decent one. I am going to try to hatch out some barnyard mixes starting tomorrow, I know its kinda late but I have a heated shed if need be.

My questions are

The temp I am looking for is 99.5 with a forced air inc right?

Is 60% humidity adequate?

any other things I need to know?

2. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

60% is a bit high.
    For the first 18 days, I would try to keep it at 40% or lower and then get it to 60% at the highest for lockdown.
    Don't forget to turn them about 3 times a day.
    And don't forget, lockdown means NO TOUCHING or TURNING or even opening the bator!
    [​IMG] Good luck with your first hatch!

3. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Is anyone familiar with the Janoel incubator? I just wondered if I could turn the humidity down? It has a digital display that shows the humidity but it doesnt turn down when I push the + or -

Oh and the inc actually has a built in 2 hour turner [​IMG] should make it alot easier on me

4. Crysalismum

Crysalismum Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2011
    The JN8-48 has a humidity reading & alarms only.
    I'm no expert I'm only on my 2nd hatch with the jn8-48.
    The humidity you get depends on the surface area of the water (not depth) of the water you Put in the bottom. 1 channel gives you about 40, 2 channels high50-60% and the whole bottom tray outside thechannels about 75-80% (for lockdown) but I make sure that if I put a chux over the grid (for lil peep feet) that I leave a section open(about a 1/8 of thebator floor) or the cloth keeps the humidity in the 50's.
    Hope that helps [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by