Going to Italy

I went to Italy in 1996 for a month. My husband is Italian and we stayed with family there... kindof a mistake... because i wanted to experience italy and mostly we just ate and ate and ate... lol
I do have some advice on the clothingy issue. If you go to St. Peter's or any church there... you have to wear sleeves on your shirts, no tank tops, no jeans ..... regular pants are fine.. but no shorts either. You are not allowed to enter the church. My son could not go into the church because he had bermuda shorts on.
I also agree with one poster... if you have the time... walk to the top of the dome in St. Peters.... it is something I will never forget... then underneath the church are the tombs... very interesting...

So jealous.. lol... I would love to go again and just experience the scenery.. it is so breath taking there... every where you point your camera... it a painting. Let us know when you get back with some pictures..
cool.png

Quote:
Sounds like you experienced the real Italy, to me!

Oh - don't forget to go into St Marks in Venice. It's pretty incredible! And try squid-ink risotto (Risotta alle seppie) in Venice (but NOT further south). In Firenze, you can *get* risotto but it's not really the tradition - so don't bother. In Firenze, get Ribollita (bread soup with tuscan kale). Or a Fiorentine steak although the Chianina is even better. Try the distinctive tuscan prosciutto in Firenze - it's VERY salty, which is why their bread is more bland.

I have been to Naples many times. In the evening there are street vendors selling just about anything and everything. Be careful of illegal items that wont make it past customs; such as switchblades, stilletos, ivory, any fur that has stripes on it and drugs...penalties can be extremely harsh. Most of these vendors speak english and if you decide to buy something...make sure you haggle with them on the price, they love that. Take them down as low as possible to purchase the item you want. As stated by others, there are expert pickpockets that will steal your purse or wallet and you'd never know it. If you wear a hat, a kid will come along and yank it off your head and take off running with it. I've never been pickpocketed before as I was forewarned. However, I had one of my favorite Georgia Bulldog hats swiped off my head by a snotty nosed brat and I wasnt about to chase him down one of those alley's. I never wore a hat again anywhere in Europe. If you take a taxi in Naples, it's scary...they drive fast...lights, horn and accelerator lol. I took a ferry to the Isle of Capri and toured the island...it was very beautiful and saw Mussolini's house as well as some interesting rock formations in the cool blue Mediterrean waters on the other side of the island. Naples sits across from the volcano, Mt Vesuvius, very scenic on a clear day. You can tour the Cameo factory in Naples and purchase cameo's there if you wish. I have been to Venice as well...very expensive, especially around San Marcos Square. There were alot of glassblowers there when I was there many years ago. The further you get away from San Marcos Square, the cheaper it is, but not by much. I have also been to La Spezia, Livorno, Imperia, La Maddelina, Augusta Bay and Messina. Enjoy your trip and be safe.

My DD's history teacher use to take a bunch of students abroad for spring vacation every year. We went to Italy with him one year through EF tours. This is the tour we took.. http://www.eftours.com/educational-tours/tour-detail.aspx?code=RED&year=2011 They are a very reputable company with tours around the world. Teachers usually get to travel for free. There was one set fee that covered everything. Travel, tours, food. The only meal we had to worry about was lunch. We went everywhere by bus and saw about everything! We had an interperter the whole time too. She stayed with us at the hotel and was with us everywwhere. EFtours was very reasonable and I highly recommend it. The ONLY thing I wasn't impressed with was the food. Sadly, when you are with a tour group like this, the food is already planned in advanced. The only time I got to try new stuff was at lunch. Other than that, it was wonderful. Also had a free day in Rome to go where we wanted. We took subways around to different places. They do have a pickpocket problem. Just be aware is all. We had backpacks. The security at the train stations will make you hold them in front of you. I am sooo jealous. I would love to go back. Be sure and get and electrical converter before you go. They have a different system there and none of your stuff will work without it. You can buy them fairly cheap at Walmart but get one! You will have to have it! It is something like this... http://www.amazon.com/Proctor-Silex-10082-Foreign-Voltage-Converter/dp/B00005NN91

BTW
... the trip over there is a long one. Buy one of those neck thingys so you can take a nap. I really wish I had of. I was very uncomfortable.

Hope some of this helped! Have a great time and be sure and post some pictures when you get back!

Edited to say.... Listen to what they are saying about the gelato. There is a place to buy gelato on almost every corner. Italians love their gelato and you will too. We had at least one every day. It is wonderful!

Last edited:
I went to venice a couple years ago. I thought the square and one of the main streets (have lights over head) were nice but the rest of the city was covered in graffiti, trash and puke. So stick to the "better" areas. Get a book on some of the areas you want to go see and read up in advance if you can. I learned a few things such as in the main square, the building with all the arches and collums, Doges Palace, there are 2 painted red collumns,
images
they used to tie criminals between them and this would be the last place family would see them before they were executed on the spot. If you take a water taxi (strongly recommend it) on the grand canal, you'll see a heavy carved covered white bridge (bridge of sighs), it was the last place a prisioner would see the daylight. The prison cells in Venice were pretty bad!!!
bridge-of-sighs.jpg

Most of my time was spent in Austria, they wear jeans and sweathers, long sleeved shirts etc. (I went in Jan/Feb) You don't want to over dress and look like you have money. Don't be afraid to say no, and learn a few of the polite words... good morning, evening, thank you, yes please, no thank you, and a few necesities, water, toilet etc... ps, be prepared to leave tips everywhere... even the bathroom attendants and some areas have pay toilets.

Also, alot of places close for lunch - even resturants (LOL) They seem to have better working hours than us Americans. Most stores opened around 8 or 9, they close for an hour lunch, then open till 3 or 4. Not as much opened on saturday and forget about sunday!

HAVE FUN!! Oh and if you can bring me back a Cane Corso puppy that would be just peachy!

Last edited:
Quote:
Hey I asked for my puppy first! Besides I only have one Corso and you have 4. Not fair! ummmmmm I like blues and brindles please!

Quote:
Italy can be quite cold in the winter so you will need layers and a hat/gloves, umbrella for rain, good shoes.

In Venice you will have to see St. Mark’s Square, St. Mark’s Basilica, get to Murano Island if you can to watch them blow glass. Just wondering the streets window shopping is fun too.

Florence you will find the famous statue of David by Michaelangelo, Piazzale Michelangelo and my catherals and musems.

Rome has too much to list but try to visit the Spanish Steps, the Vatican, Sistine Chapel, and the Arch of Constantine.

My daughter lived in Naples for 3 yrs and I got to visit here there for a month. Try to visit the Capodimonte factory, the National Archeological Musem, Castel dell'Ovo, Teatro San Carlo, and the Duomo di Napoli.

In Pompeii you can wander the streets of the ruins.

Hope you have a great time!!

I would try to dress a little bit sharper than at home in the midwest. I think jeans might be ok if they fit well and are clean and neat, with a nice blouse, sweater etc. Wearing nail polish is less common - only for very special occasions, and running shoes and sneakers, I don't think is still real common.

A little more modest clothes might help to deflect some of the ... well...you'll see...but in general, dress is very stylish, without being really revealing.

Prepare yourself - most restaurants serve spaghetti with a little less sauce than Americans do!

A great place to visit. My favorite, the seven hill towns around Florence, my favorite Fisole. Venice is very beautiful and lots of art to see.

You might want to read a Rough Guide for Italy, the rough guides always point out the little treasures, small places, really give you a feeling of the place.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom