Going to Ohio National-What about vaccinations?

C_Dzchicks

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Knoxville, Tennessee
I'm about to go to my first show and I have entered a cockerel and pullet but neither have been vaccinated. Should I not bring them? It would be devastating if they got Merick's disease. I will quarantine them afterwards, of course but I don't want to lose them. If you know anything about going to chicken shows please give me some advice. It would be much appreciated b/c I can't decide what to do....

I do not bring birds that are going to be used in my breeding program to shows as a rule.

It's a little late to think about vaccinations as there is no way for them to get any protection from one now. You should have vaccinated your birds a minimum of 4-6 weeks before the show, preferably just given vaccines as the bird matured.

Right. So, I didn't know that I needed to give vaccinations and I know its too late now. My question is: Will my birds be safe? And for the future: What vaccinations? I have read quite a bit and oddly never came across a vaccination schedule which is why this is such a surprise to me. If my sisters flock (in a diff. state) hadn't came down w/ Mericks prompting me to do some research I wouldn't have even thought about it. So are they safe and if not, what vaccinations do I need before I enter them in the next show. Guess I just wasted my money for this one. Should have done more research.

Back
Top Bottom