Going to pick out 2-3 more

Suess hens

Songster
11 Years
May 4, 2008
Altadena, CA
When I was told that having chickens was an addiction I laughed. Um, yeah, where do I go to heal? I have to make a trip to the feed store today and am planning on picking up at least 2, possibly 3, new week olds....Since we have a feeling our brahma is a roo, and after losing one to a hawk and one just up and dying on us a week ago, the coop can handle a few more....and they are just so darn cute to watch!

Ok, about 4 months ago the only thing I knew about raising chickens was that I knew nothing about it! I now have 11 different breeds, 69 chicks total all since the 14th of March. I have stayed up at night reading books on how to raise chickens... I didnt even have pets growing up. Im obsessed. It might never end! My friends are already calling me by the name chicken farmer, not my first name!
yippiechickie.gif

I have one work friend that has banned me from talking about my chickens during work hours. My husband tells all our neighbors I am the chicken encyclopedia--and I don't even think I know that much, but must be more than him (which is probably "They lay eggs.")

roll.png
It's awful isn't it? The way it sneaks up and bites you?

5 months ago I didn't know anything about them other than they lay eggs that are more yummy than the store bought ones and that on my uncles family farm you caught the hens by the feet (!) lol

I bought my farm 4 months ago and now I have 25 chickens and ducks and 27 more coming this Friday!

I must be nuts!
th.gif

Now who's laughing?!?! It really is an addiction. I will warn you now. It starts with these cute little chicks. Then it goes to the incubator, because the local farm store doesn't carry the chicks anymore. Then, you're just in trouble!
lau.gif

I must admit I used to dislike chickens. I would go to visit my sister in Maryland on the Eastern Shore where there is a chicken farm every 50 feet and I would take one whiff and say "Bleh! It's so disgusting! Chickens are gross!!!"

OK, well that was before I ever met a chicken in person.

Then we decided to hatch chicken eggs for a science fair project with my youngest, for school and I thought..."Here is a safe project involving pets. I would never in a million years be tempted to keep a disgusting, nasty chicken!"

Long story short, I have an incubator in my bedroom with eggs in it and a husband begrudgingly agreeing to build me a coop, lmao.

I never imagined how much fun they are to raise and how much personality they each have. I still think I am insane and I know my family is raising their eyebrows. I can't believe I am going to be a chicken mom myself. What can I say? I got the bug!

When you people say it's addicting you sure ain't kidding!!!!
lau.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif
love.gif

Same here! Nine weeks ago I was happy to tell my daughter she could bring her preschool project home.
smile.png

A week after that we brought Chick-Chick home and I joined this forum not long after that b/c I realized I didn't know what the heck to do or what breed she was (or even if she was a she).

Long story short, the enablers on here convinced me - after telling me she's a she - that she needs FRIENDS. I thought yeah, right ok. Then I got attached and fell in love with her. Went to get her two potential friends. I am in love with all 3. If I could, I'd get more!

Edit: I never realized that chickens have different personalities!!!!!

Last edited:
I am home from the store....electrolytes and vitamins for the "big girls," dog bones for the dogs (way cheap there too...woohoo), and three new babies...and some new stuff for them because I use the feeder for the first set still in a corner of the run and keep their waterer in the coop for early morning before I get out there to let them out....oh, and had to buy some more bedding even though these little ones won't be on it for a bit. two ee's and one barred rock.
I will post some pictures up of the new...and the older girls, a bit later.

Back
Top Bottom