Going tomorrow to look at some chickens!

KDailey

Crazy Cochin Lady
8 Years
Jun 27, 2011
Bronson, Tx
So yesterday when I was just about to leave work I pulled up craigslist real quick to just see what there was listed in the way of chickens. I see an add for Giant Cochins. My neighbor has one giant cochin roo and one hen and had mentioned she would like another hen. This was a trio of blacks for $60. It said call or txt so a shot them a txt message.

Turns out they have several different breeds of standard and bantam chickens as well as quail, guineas, turkeys, ducks, geese and peacocks. Here is their website:

www.fowlweatherfarm.weebly.com

Me and my neighbor are going tomorrow (saturday) to get some chickens. I'd like to have some hens that are actually laying age since all mine are chicks under 3 months old and possibly 1 rooster. I'm really excited about it.

Also, I've been trying to rehome my parakeets because I just didn't click with them and they're just sitting in their cage. I saw on these people's website that they had a lot of parakeets in an outdoor flight pen. So I asked if they'd be interested in two more. After some haggling back and forth they said they'll trade me 4 silkie chicks for the parakeets, cage, toys and 5 lbs of food. As far as worth, I'm coming out short since it's a $100 cage and only 6 months old and they're selling the silkie chicks for $5 a piece. But the way I see it, I don't want the parakeets anymore but I do want the silkies (they have blue and partridge!) So I think it's a good trade.

So now I just need to prepare something to bring the new chickens back in. I've got a small dog crate, and a smallish wire rabbit cage with a rubber mat in the bottom. I'm planning on wrapping the cardboard that came as a brooder in my "chick starter package" around the wire cage to keep them from pooping through the wire on my truck's seats. lol. Just gotta get home from work today to wash the dog crate and wrap the cardboard.

I'm so excited!!

Congratulations. Keep in mind that the stress of a move will often stop a hen laying for a little while. Many people are excited when they get an egg the first or second day and then disappointed when they get no more. Usually it is just that there is an egg "in the works" when they pick up their new hen so that egg is laid but due to the stress of moving, no more develop for a little while.

Hope the trip goes well for you!

The parakeet swap sounds like a good deal; you'll be much happier with your new hens and the parakeets won't be a distraction from your main interest. Fowl Weather Farm seems to have some beautiful birds. Just looking through their site was fun. Post some photos of the new girls when you have time! Congratulations!

Congratulations!
wee.gif
Good luck! Don't forget to post pictures when you get them!
wink.png

big_smile.png
Thanks guys!

They have blue, black and partridge silkies so I'm hoping to get a least one of each. lol. They have a trio of Giant Cochins that I'm also getting. My neighbor have a rooster and hen and needs another hen but she doesn't need another rooster. So I told her I'd take the rooster and one hen and she could take the other. They won't sell seperately so this is how we're working it out.

I'd like some of the ameracaunas and maybe a bb red trio.
ya.gif
wee.gif
droolin.gif

Congrats on the new birds! And thanks for sharing the website. Their farm is in my area!! We have had a hard time finding a reputable breeder to buy chickens from.

Back
Top Bottom