Gold Comet Trying to lay Too Big Of Egg!

jennrauch

Songster
15 Years
Oct 2, 2007
Has anyone else ever experienced problems with Too Big Of Eggs from Gold Comets? I think this around the 4th one I've noticed having issues with a large egg, all the others have died. Anything I can do for her? Note Egg is very large. I feel so bad for her.

Last edited:
I have about 15 Golden Comets and none of them have had trouble with eggs that are too big, so I don't know if this is a trait in the breed.
Good luck to you and your hens

Jenn- do you feed black oil sunflower seed? If not, I would start..it will help keep things lubricated in there and help with her passing these eggs. I can't say about the breed laying oversized eggs because I don't know, but maybe you could assist her in passing these. Or you may even want to consider shutting her cycle down to stop the production of eggs. You can do this by putting her a a dimly lit area for a while until she stops laying. Natural daylight reduction should be stopping her at this time of the year.

Jody

If you catch her laying a large egg, you can lubricate her vent by smearing KY just inside. That might help the egg slide out easier.

She died yesterday morning or in the night. I'm not a 100% if she was egg bound or just couldn't pass the large egg. It's always Gold Comets we have this problem with. We just recently started feeding black oil sunflower seeds, but in her case I think it was too late. She did not appear to be over weight and not under weight. I just hate to see this happen to them. Especially when I don't know enough to help them. Thanks for all the replies guys.

Egg bound means that the egg can't pass... I'm pretty sure that's what you would call what happened to your girl.

So sorry! There are treatments such as warm baths and massages, if you do a search here you'll find lots of tips for egg bound hens.

Hope you don't have to face this again, but at least you know you can come here for advice. Post early and be very specific about symptoms and Im sure you'll get a tip or two that might just do the trick

So sorry about your hens. I have golden comets and they do lay very large eggs. I have never had this prob. with them. I do have 3, 10 week old pullets and will watch them carfully when they start laying. Did you ever say if these were young hens?

I did however have this prob. with a BR pullet and did the ky jelly trick witch did work in my case. As arlee453 said use the search and you will find other ways to help with an egg bound hen. Thats what I did and I hope you have better luck with the rest of your girls.

Back
Top Bottom