gold comets

mxpres

Songster
11 Years
Jan 21, 2009
Lenoir,NC
someone tell me about the gold comet pullets,do they make good layers,,meat birds?any information on this breed would be helpful,,
smile.png

It is supposed to be a cross between a White Rock hen crossed with a New Hampshire male or is it a cross between a Rhode Island Red male and a Rhode Island White female? Anyway they are sex-linked so you know your not getting roos when you order. They are popular for layers and they are a friendly backyard breed from what I learned when I was doing research for my order of chicks. Here is a link from another forum I use for gardening that talks about folks experience with them.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/825424/

I have had these for years and they are great. The only bird I know that lays more eggs is the leghorn. I don't keep them because they are to flighty. The comets are docile and friendly. I would say I get on average of 300-325 eggs a year from each hen. As someone else said, they are sex-linked because you can tell the sex as soon as they hatch. The pullets are reddish and the cockerals are white. Great birds. I always get mine from Ideal.

Last edited:
I have several Golden Comets and i really like them for many reasons. They are hearty, lay fantastic, easy keepers, and kinda cool looking, not a good meat bird but makes up for that in many other ways.

AL

thanks for the information,I had chickens when I was a kid but they were just chickens,I didn,t realize they were so may breeds of chickens as they are today,I started with 16 black broilers last spring,straight run,I would up with 12 roosters and 4 hens,I kept the hens and processed the roosters,they seem to be good layers,I bought 5 australorps as an experiement when I got the broilers just to experiment to see how they would do,and they were doing quite well untill the varmit got to them,I thought I had my pens secure but it found a weak place in the wire,being all were killed and just one partly eaten, I suspect a dog,but I did dispatch one coyote the next day,again,thanks for the information,backyardchickens forum is a great help to beginners such as I,thanks again,,,
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom