Gold laced standard Cochins

BunnieLynn

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2023
I have had chickens for a year now and I am still learning. So, this is probably a stupid question:
I have 3 standard cochin chickens that I purchased straight-run, from a company last summer. One is definitely a hen (I have seen her lay eggs)& the other two appear to be roosters. Only thing is, they have never crowed & they don’t seem to ever mount the hen. However, I have always kept a Plymouth Barred Rock Rooster in the same pin. He mounts the hen all the time.
Have you ever heard of such a thing?

I have had chickens for a year now and I am still learning. So, this is probably a stupid question:
I have 3 standard cochin chickens that I purchased straight-run, from a company last summer. One is definitely a hen (I have seen her lay eggs)& the other two appear to be roosters. Only thing is, they have never crowed & they don’t seem to ever mount the hen. However, I have always kept a Plymouth Barred Rock Rooster in the same pin. He mounts the hen all the time.
Have you ever heard of such a thing?
The Barred Rock is probably the dominant one. They won’t mate or crow with him around or at least they will take longer to do so. If you want them to then you’ll probably have to separate them. Otherwise I’d leave them. Oh and :welcome

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
It is quite normal for submissive roosters to not crow and not attempt to mount any females when a dominant rooster is in residence. If they were not penned and there was a lot of structure around, they would likely give it a try as they would have better chances to not be seen and to get away if they were.

Back
Top Bottom