Gold Laced Wyandottes

My 4 GLW all have a single comb. My books say that is correct what they have.
What books are those? Can you share title & author?

I have always heard and read that Wyandottes are supposed to have a rose comb. They do sometimes produce chicks with single combs, but those chicks are not considered correct for the breed (rather like one with way too much black or way too little black would also be incorrect.)

Since what you found is different than what I've always found, I'm definitely curious to learn more.

What books are those? Can you share title & author?

I have always heard and read that Wyandottes are supposed to have a rose comb. They do sometimes produce chicks with single combs, but those chicks are not considered correct for the breed (rather like one with way too much black or way too little black would also be incorrect.)

Since what you found is different than what I've always found, I'm definitely curious to learn more.
Maybe I’m using wrong terminology. A rose comb is a single one, correct? Or a pea comb. Not a double comb.

Maybe I’m using wrong terminology. A rose comb is a single one, correct? Or a pea comb. Not a double comb.
Yes, terminology issue.

Yes, there are some chickens with double combs (V-shaped or Buttercup).

But chickens who do not have double combs can have rose comb, or pea comb, or walnut comb, or single comb. Each of those four kinds is different.

Wyandottes are supposed to have the one called rose comb (wide and often covered with tiny bumps), and not the kind called single comb (skinny and stands up straight with points on it. A single comb is shaped a bit like the kind of comb you might you on your own hair.)

Yes, terminology issue.

Yes, there are some chickens with double combs (V-shaped or Buttercup).

But chickens who do not have double combs can have rose comb, or pea comb, or walnut comb, or single comb. Each of those four kinds is different.

Wyandottes are supposed to have the one called rose comb (wide and often covered with tiny bumps), and not the kind called single comb (skinny and stands up straight with points on it. A single comb is shaped a bit like the kind of comb you might you on your own hair.)
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom