Gold leakage...mean anything??

Hedgeland Farms

Crowing
May 5, 2022
Southern Illinois
I have a 3wk old chick. Asian Black. This was not on my list of such to pick up this year, hubby thought they were barred rocks when they were little. One has leakage, the other does not...wondering if there's any indication that one is a male and one is not??? Or do they just grow up different colors. 🤔
Does anyone know anything
Bahahahaha

Attachments

• 20230323_145136.jpg
    20230323_145136.jpg
    614.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 20230323_145214.jpg
    20230323_145214.jpg
    437.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230323_145930.jpg
    20230323_145930.jpg
    629.9 KB · Views: 7
Since you're seeing leakage develop primarily on shoulders and potentially back I would be suspicious it's a cockerel. Some mixed breed pullets can have some shoulder color but usually it's a cockerel trait. Update in a few weeks! :)
Thanks.
I don't mind it being a cockerel, (if it is) he'll go in my other coop...
But just trying to figure it out lol

I have a 3wk old chick. Asian Black. This was not on my list of such to pick up this year, hubby thought they were barred rocks when they were little. One has leakage, the other does not...wondering if there's any indication that one is a male and one is not??? Or do they just grow up different colors. 🤔
Does anyone know anything
Bahahahaha
The bumpy comb initially tells me it is a roo, but can you take an outstretched wing picture? Hens will have a double layer of wing feathers all the way across. Either way it is really cute!

See the way those wing feathers are all pretty uniform and one length? That says roo. A hen will have two layers. I think I see a wattle already forming? Roos usually seem to get them earlier and the become more pronounced. Activities also told us which of ours were roos. The roos are much more adventurous early. The roos want to hang with the roo and the hens stay with mama more. I guess time will tell. :)

See the way those wing feathers are all pretty uniform and one length? That says roo. A hen will have two layers. I think I see a wattle already forming? Roos usually seem to get them earlier and the become more pronounced. Activities also told us which of ours were roos. The roos are much more adventurous early. The roos want to hang with the roo and the hens stay with mama more. I guess time will tell. :)
Thanks so much!

So what was the outcome here? Wings at this age on this cross mean nothing. I'd have asked for updated pics at 6 weeks showing comb and wattles, and tentatively said it looks like a pullet so far.

So what was the outcome here? Wings at this age on this cross mean nothing. I'd have asked for updated pics at 6 weeks showing comb and wattles, and tentatively said it looks like a pullet so far.
I am sorry i never came back to update.
She is abt 8wks old now, and she is a pullet. She has some very pretty colors developing.

Attachments

• 20230421_171211.jpg
    20230421_171211.jpg
    816.5 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom