Gold neck D'uccle vs regular mille

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NellaBean, Jul 2, 2010.

1. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Is a Gold Neck D'uccle just a splash mille? Seems like I see differing opinions. I have a gold neck trio and a mille and blue mille set of pullets. I want to make more blue milles....so can I add the mille and blue mille girls to the gold neck pen? Or are gold neck not in fact a "splash mille" and instead a completely separate color pattern?

2. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Bump, im interested in other people's opinions!

3. TurtleFeathers

TurtleFeathers Fear the Turtle!

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
    Gold neck can either be a splash mille fleur or a white - dominant white I think - but the splash should appear the same as a white, if that makes sense. No blue streaks in the white areas.

4. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Golden Neck Plumage is a separate, distinct, standardized color variety in D'uccles. In VERY basic terms, the body is golden bay as opposed to the vermillion orange of the MF's, and while the feathers still end in the white spangles, there are no black bars.

5. TurtleFeathers

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
    Quote:I'm not sure about the golden bay vs. vermillion orange, but dominant white affects the black, and effectively makes it disappear (turns the color off). The andalusian blue gene affects the black as well - one gene turns the black to blue, and two genes will turns the black to splash. And because the black and white are adjacent on mille fleur, it appears as one big white spot on an otherwise gold feather, when the black is replaced by splash or white.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  6. Coopa Cabana

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    "Golden Bay" and "Vermillion Orange" are the terms used in the ABA Standard to describe the plumage colors of the Golden Neck and the Mille Fleur.

7. TurtleFeathers

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
    I figured they were official terms - I'm just not sure what gene (or genes) changes the "vermillion orange" of mille fleur to the "golden bay" of gold neck - can anyone enlighten me?

8. Dandelion007

Dandelion007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Durant, OK
    The Golden Neck variety was brought to d' Uccles from d' Anvers. So, I would not think it was a "splash" of the Millie variety.

In hatching from all Golden Necks d' Uccles, I have gotten mostly Golden Neck with a few Millies and a color that closely resembles a Campine or Buttercup hen. I don't know how the genes work. I am just letting you know what I have gotten from my hatches. Hope this helps.

9. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    My golden necks are a trio of "regular" golden necks plus a pair of whites....they all came from Ideal as "golden necks", therefore I would assume these were made via dominant white instead of splash mille.....does that make sense?

If so, what would i get when crossing with mille or blue mille? Just curious [​IMG]

10. Coopa Cabana

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Quote:Here's what I'm finding (vanDort/Hancox "Genetics of Chicken Colours")
    Mille Fleur:
    eb/eb s+/s+ Db/Db (Co/Co) Pg/Pg Ml/Ml (Mh/Mh) mo/mo
    or
    eWh/eWh s+/s+ Db/Db Pg/Pg Ml/Ml (Mh/Mh) mo/mo

Golden Neck:
    eb/eb s+/s+ Db/Db mo/mo I/I or I/i+ or Bl/Bl
    "In this color vairety the black of the Mille Fleur is replaced by white due to one dose of dominant white (I/i+) or by homozygous blue or splash (Bl/Bl). In the latter case (it) is a by-product of Blue Mille Fleur."

Hope that helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by