Golden comet hens with a silkie rooster?

Catie1212

Chirping
May 1, 2023
Jamestown NY / Warren PA
I have a flock of 6 GCs that are about a year old. I am thinking of taking in a well mannered silkie rooster who is over a year old as well. I do not want the ladies to hurt our newcomer who will be smaller then them and am not sure about taking him in because of this. Advice please?

Thanks so much!!

I would not get this rooster. Golden Comets are known to gang up on a bird, no matter a breed or gender. (My three was always standing against my Game bantam every time he came around and he was too stupid to back down and run.) I would get a bigger rooster for them and one that isn't so different. (Different, as in, size, feather type, and possibly color, depending on the roo.) I've had Orpingtons, EEs, NHRs, and more with mine, and they did well. It was just the smaller ones they'd gang up on, and that Silkie rooster WILL try to fight them and will possibly get injured, lose feathers, and possibly blood.

I would not get this rooster. Golden Comets are known to gang up on a bird, no matter a breed or gender. (My three was always standing against my Game bantam every time he came around and he was too stupid to back down and run.) I would get a bigger rooster for them and one that isn't so different. (Different, as in, size, feather type, and possibly color, depending on the roo.) I've had Orpingtons, EEs, NHRs, and more with mine, and they did well. It was just the smaller ones they'd gang up on, and that Silkie rooster WILL try to fight them and will possibly get injured, lose feathers, and possibly blood.
Thank you so much for your reply, we will not get this Roo I don’t want him to be hurt

Thank you so much for your reply, we will not get this Roo I don’t want him to be hurt
You're welcome. Thank you for reaching out and asking other people's opinions first.

Back
Top Bottom