Golden Comet or Austrolorp info & egg production?

aimeeinwv

Songster
10 Years
Aug 8, 2009
Teays Valley, West Virginia
We are considering purchasing some Golden Comets from our local Dept. of Agriculture Market Bulletin - they are not laying yet. Also an ad in there for Australorps from another person. We would love to add to the flock. (carefully of course!)

Does anyone have pics to share or any info on either of them? Thanks so much in advance ya'll!!!
jumpy.gif

I have had both,at the present time I have golden comets ,they lay a large to extra large egg almost everyday,my preference for egg laying would be the comets,the australorps are nice birds and great layers,

Gold Comets, without doubt! We have nineteen pullets all less than a year old. Six are about 40 weeks, six are 32 weeks, and seven are 24 weeks. We bought all of them as 'Started Pullets' meaning they were about 18 weeks old. For the past two weeks the 'Youngsters' as we call them have started laying and for the past week we've gotten 17 - 19 eggs each day. Great layers. They're good people birds too who love to follow you around and be around people. They seem to be hardy and are easy to care for. Gold Comets! You won't go wrong.

Last edited:
Well, I'm almost embarassed to say: I have a Golden Comet then! 2 of them!!! LOL I thought they were something else. So, YES, they are wonderful birds for sure!!!! We are thinking we may get some as started pullets from the hatchery we got our first ones from. We have several different kinds, but my fav is a lil sexlink (Golden Comet) named Popper. She is the MOST loveable baby girl in the world. I love her so much! I'd love to have many more!!! I'd feel a little better getting them @ the hatchery since the farm we found on the bulletin is in our eastern panhandle. Unfortunately, they have a avian flu outbreak in that area (did have last year) plus, on the bright side! The hatchery in Ohio is closer :) Thanks for all your help - you are all wonderful!!

Some years back we had just one Black Star and she was a wonderful layer. Hardly ever missed a day in years, plus she had oodles of personality and was a great pet.

Now amongst the bantams we have three Hubbard Golden Comets, and although to me they are not a very pretty bird, they shore do lay. Almost every day we get 3 really large eggs, double yolks frequently enough so that once, when I scrambled a dozen, every one was a double yolk...I did pick out the largest that time though. One giant egg weighed 3.2 oz and no way could it fit in an egg carton. The egg color is a nice brown.

Does anyone know what I would get if I hatched GC eggs bred by a RIR rooster? His fate could depend on the answer.

I have Aussie's and they are wonderful. Very docile. I have 4 Roo's and they are not aggressive at all. I have some pics on my website, but not any recent ones.

Back
Top Bottom