1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Golden Comets aren't listed on the breed pages......

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Benelli, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Benelli

Benelli Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    Are these a subspecies of something else? I've been thinking about getting a few in the spring. BYC is a wealth of info, but I can't find them listed.
    Of course, I could just be overlooking them. I've looked a few times thinking I was just missing them. If anyone has some info, good, bad or indifferent please let me know.
    Thanks, L

2. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

I think they're a name for a hybrid that has several - all I know is a woman the next town over has them and they are egg-laying machines. She's got 250 or 300 of them and sells eggs from her doorstep - pretty sweet retirement income! I don't know how often she changes her stock, however, so I can't speak to how long they last as good layers.

3. denasfarm

denasfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama!!
    I think thats what they call the Rhode Island red roo X Rhode Island White hen (sexlink cross's)
    If so they do not breed back true. Only on the 1st generation are they sexlinks.
    REd females and White males. I have both breeds but have not crossed them yet.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The Golden Comets are produced by crossing a White Rock female with a Rhode Island Red male. It is not a true "breed" but is a specific hybrid. They are "red sex links" in that the female and male chicks can be told apart by color at hatch, the males being lighter and the females darker. This way, you do not have to pay to feed and house a male chicken until it is big enough to tell the sex. There are several different ways to get red sex links, such as the Cinnamon Queen, which is a cross between a Silver Laced Wyandotte female and a Rhode Island Red male.

They typically display something called "hybrid vigor". This is where you often get offspring with enhanced traits when you cross certain breeds or varieties. With many of the sex links, laying lots of eggs is one of the traits that is enhanced. Specific crosses will enhance specific traits. Many of the commercial vegetables are a product of specific crosses, called hybrids. These hybrids do not breed true.

5. paulray2

paulray2 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2008
  6. Benelli

Benelli Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    Ah, I knew somebody could answer the question. I majored in biology and loved genetics so this has really piqued my interest about not breeding back true.
    I'm not really looking for egg production so much as just good, hearty chickens and unusual doesn't hurt either. Thank you so much for the responses.

7. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Mount Healthy Hatchery in Ohio has a great line of Golden Comets, we love them.

8. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    denasfarm,
    Breeding a white and red anything will not give you a sexlink. saladin

9. denasfarm

denasfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama!!
    Quote:You may be correct however breeding a RIR to a RIW DOES gives you a red sexlink as does RIR to Barred Rocks gives a black sexlink.
    You can look this up at Ideal Poultrys web site.

10. CelticMoon1

CelticMoon1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Sorry, double post!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by