Golden Cuckoo Marans cross conundrum

aliciaFarmer

Songster
May 3, 2018
Oregon
A few weeks ago I hatched out some F2 Olive Eggers and some Golden Cuckoo Marans eggs that could have either been fertilized by my Barnevelder that I used to have, my Welsummer or potentially my young Swedish Flower Hen rooster. Most of those were hatched for other people but I kept one that I thought was a girl. As it turns out, he's a boy. The odd thing is he's completely black with a white stripe down his belly. Total conundrum. He's almost 6 weeks old now and has no coloring or patterns coming through -- just black that shimmers purple and green in the light. He looks like a Black Australorp but that's an impossibility.

20190506_111100.jpg

20190506_132445.jpg

I figured it was an unexplainable fluke but I did a second hatch again including some Golden Cuckoo Marans eggs. Again, one of the babies is pure black with a white stripe down her front. The only father possibilities for that are Welsummer or Swedish Flower.

Does anyone know how a light mulicolored girl and a multi colored boy could make an almost pure black chicken? I know nothing of genetics but I find it odd, especially with slate/black legs. Not sure what I've created or rather the *how* but they sure are cute. Does anyone know how that works? I'm just curious and perplexed.

I'm not really good with genetics either, :confused: but I'm seriously curious about your little guy. Hopefully somebody who is good with genetics will pop on here and give you some answers. He's a handsome fella by the way :love

@chrissynemetz, thank you! He's sweet too (though I'll have to rehome him, unfortunately). I hope someone can explain as it fascinates and perplexed me, especially now that I have two. Crossing my fingers the younger is a girl but they aren't even 3 weeks old yet.

I have an obsession with roosters, I just love them. :love
I see all these people on here having to re-home their boys and I want them ALL. My hens would run away from home.:th

Back
Top Bottom