Golden cuckoo?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SpeckledPullet, Jul 2, 2011.

1. SpeckledPullet

SpeckledPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    Northeast Florida
    I'm still trying to figure out what color this roo is. I saw a golden cuckoo and thought maybe that's the best name for this color? Can anyone give me a shove in the right direction as to what I call this and what colors might have created this? I'm just trying to figure out what colors I would get if I breed him with certain color hens ... having a hard time even understanding what color this roo is LOL.

[​IMG]

2. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
  3. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Looks like he has crele in him. He does not look like my Golden Cuckoos.

[​IMG]

4. GotGame

GotGame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    Quote:Bird just looks sun brassed to me.

5. SpeckledPullet

Jan 24, 2010
    Northeast Florida
    Quote:Bird just looks sun brassed to me.

He's that color even when he's in an enclosed coop year round. So, that means it's not sun fading ... I assume.

WestKnoll - no, he looks nothing like your guy. LOL I guess maybe he is just a bad crele expirement.

6. SpeckledPullet

Jan 24, 2010
    Northeast Florida
  7. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Definitely not a product of sun burn.
    I am with you. Someone was doing a crele project. The lack of feathers on the feet and legs tells me they bred in something else to get the color and pattern. He is beautiful but project material. I am sure you could cross him with some others to get some interesting chicks from the right colored bantam Cochin hens, if you wanted.
    I currently have a crele carrying LF Cochin roo that I am crossing with a buff hen and getting some really nice chicks.....er, half grown now.

8. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:He is Golden alright..(S/s+) but not Cuckoo, to have Cockoo you have to have Bird Based on E or Er with melanizers, this boy looks like a Plain Crowing to me and with Sex link Barring ofcourse... Nice color...[​IMG]

Edit.. Crowing is Er(Birchen) on a otherwise wildtype background...

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by