Golden Laced Polish Roo x Lavender Orpington Hen

Friskybinx

Chirping
Apr 17, 2023
Greensboro, NC
I hatched a few eggs from my GLP X LO (with the shredder gene) and thought I’d share what I got out of it. These guys hatched on October 11th. I’m pretty bummed that they are all just basically straight black 🤣 I was definitely hoping for something cool. I do think it’s interesting that they all seem to have different feathering with one of them having the shredded feathers.

What I’m super curious about is how only one of them has the solid devil horns look going on. The others look like they may have a combo polish/orpington comb.

IMG_0523.jpeg
IMG_0517.jpeg
IMG_0518.jpeg
IMG_0522.jpeg

Thank you for sharing! Your images seem really yellow/orange.. Is this because of the way the photo's are taken or did something go wrong while converting them for uploading to this site? Would it be possible to share some pictures with the actual colours? It might be helpfull to answer your question

I hatched a few eggs from my GLP X LO (with the shredder gene) and thought I’d share what I got out of it. These guys hatched on October 11th. I’m pretty bummed that they are all just basically straight black 🤣 I was definitely hoping for something cool.
That is what usually happens when someone crosses a lavender chicken with most other colors of chickens.

Genetically, a lavender chicken is a black chicken that is made lighter by the lavender gene. Lavender is recessive, so it is not visible in the crossed chicks. But the black is dominant over most other colors and patterns, so the chicks look black.

If you cross any of those chicks back to the lavender parent, you should get some lavender chicks and some black chicks, about equal numbers of each.

What I’m super curious about is how only one of them has the solid devil horns look going on. The others look like they may have a combo polish/orpington comb.
I think that kind of combo is fairly common when crossing those two comb types.

Here’s a few better pictures! I did notice some gold leakage in the one chick that picked up the shredder gene so that’s pretty exciting!

I had a feeling the lavender would be recessive, though I was absolutely hoping for a different outcome 🤣 this was my first time ever hatching chicks and I’m still thrilled with the outcome.

IMG_0540.jpeg
IMG_0533.jpeg
IMG_0535.jpeg
IMG_0538.jpeg
IMG_0539.jpeg
IMG_0544.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom