1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Golden pheasants

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by ZooZoo, Mar 21, 2007.

1. ZooZoo

ZooZoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2007
    Northern New Jersey
    Am thinking of starting with pheasants. How is the golden pheasants temperment aposed to the Lady Amherst? Do they require a large enclosed shelter? Any other information would be appreciated. I have ducks and chickens, now wanting to start with pheasants.
    Thanks

2. tnokie

tnokie Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2007
    They are a great beginner phesant. Thay are no as wild and flighty as ringnecks. They will become quite tame. I always gave mine some shelter. The coop you just made would be great,but they really don't need the enclosed nesting area. By the way I love you mural. Would love to have that kind of talent!

3. AnyoneCA

AnyoneCA Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2014
    I have 5 related golden phesants available, 2 roosters and 3 hens. I am located in the San Francisco bay area. These are excellent stock, we are simply bringing in new genetics to diversify bloodlines.

1 normal male from 2014
    1 juvenile (normal) male from 2015
    1 normal hen from 2014
    1 normal hen from 2013
    1 yellow hen from 2013

Asking $200 for all 5 birds.

If you're interested let me know and i can send you a bunch of pictures :)

4. petlover0827

petlover0827 New Egg

Sep 13, 2015
    Brunswick MD
    We have 2 red golden pheasants. Theyre very fun to watch in their pen. We also have 2 ringneck pheasants as well. A male and a female of each. I do have 1 question: does anyone know why my female golden pheasant roosts almost all the time?

5. macgro7

macgro7 Chillin' With My Peeps

I think that she roosts all the time because male is bullying her as you only have one female.
    Does someone disagree??
    BTW I want to get pheasants as well, how would you say goldenseal differ from ringneck? Goldenseal become more tame and are smaller. Anything else? I'm considering getting both or at least one species (obviously in separate aviaries).
    I love Goldens and common ringneck. My grandma used to have one stuffed in her house and we always played with it lol
    Also how would you compare their loudness to Cockerell ducks and geese?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  6. elsfieldchickens

elsfieldchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

• macgro7 I think you are right about her being bothered by the male.Some males can be more persistent and stress a single female with all the chasing,a trio or quartet is much better as it means the male attention is not focussed on a single female.
    • Goldens are only slightly different to ringnecks in that they have more striking plumage and courtship display.They can be kept the same as ringnecks and Mine do well in most UK weather ensuring they have somewhere to get out of the rain.
    The males call is not as loud or as entrusive as cockerels or waterfowl but still quite noticeable..The females are much quieter only occassionally whistling.

7. macgro7

macgro7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks. Where in UK are you from?
    I'm in Leicester.
    I have geese ducks chickens quails turkeys and muscovies and they do sometimes make noise.... so pheasants wouldn't make it worse.

8. elsfieldchickens

elsfieldchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

We are in Oxfordshire and keep Ornamental pheasants and ducks,Chickens,pigeons and peafowl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by