Golf Balls in Nesting Box

Jessiiiface

In the Brooder
Sep 16, 2019
Kentucky
Just some background info....
It is our first year owning chickens. We have one rooster and five hens. They are almost 6 months old. Our coop has 3 nesting boxes. When I started noticing some of the typical signs that our hens were getting close to laying, I put two golf balls in each nest box. Our hens have always laid in the nesting boxes without any issues, and, typically, only use the same one or two of the nesting boxes.

Somehow the hen(s) are moving the golf balls into their favorite nesting box. When I collect eggs, I move them back so there is two golf balls in each nesting box. I just cannot figure out how they are moving the golf balls. The nesting boxes are divided, so it is impossible for them to be kicking them between the nesting boxes.

I guess I was just curious if anyone else has experienced this??? Could they really be using their beaks?!

They can tuck them under their wings to carry them around. My chickens move the golf balls to their favorite boxes also.
Oh man. I feel terrible now. I saw that a golf ball got moved out of a nesting box and blamed my SO! He said he didn't do it and it wasnt a big deal to move it back. He's gonna laugh when I tell him this!:gig

So funny!!! I have tried searching this phenomenon like a million times, but never could find anything. I just figured I had some wack ass chickens haha

So funny!!! I have tried searching this phenomenon like a million times, but never could find anything. I just figured I had some wack
ass
chickens haha

I don’t.... but I would love to see it!! For weeks, I have tried catching them in the act to figure out how the
hell
they were moving the golf balls, but I never had any luck.... sneaky little things :p
@Jessiiiface could you please edit your posts to remove the profanity? There are children on this site. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom