Gone broody for unfertilized eggs

backyardfarmfamily

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 27, 2008
Texas
I have a chicken who has gone broody even though we have no rooster. She started spending a good amount of her time in the coop the past few days but today she will not move and gets VERY mad when I try to get her out or get the other hens eggs out from under her. What should I do? Will it pass? Should I force her out?

You could force her off the nest if you want, but she'd probably go get right back on it - that's what ours did!
smile.png

Broodiness will pass, but it mightn't be for a while depending on how dedicated she is. We had one broody give up after a week, and another stayed in the nest box for six weeks before she snapped out of it, and even then she went around making broody noises!

As long as she is taking time off the nest to eat, drink, poop, dust bathe and have a stretch then i think you can just leave her to get on with it. Alternatively if you want to hatch out some eggs, this is a perfect opportunity
big_smile.png

Thanks for the link! That broody growl sure is scary - Tilly used to give us a warning peck too when we removed her eggs
roll.png

I've got 2 doing the same thing right now. Except they are on 1 egg each.
They sound sooooo dangerous! At least they think they do!

You can't help but laugh at them.

We had a hen sitting on eggs about a month ago.....as we have a rooster, we didn't know if they were fertilized or not. After 3 weeks plus a few days we ended up taking her eggs (which were not fertilized). She didn't lay again for a little over a month, but she got over the broodiness quickly.

My husband used to just pick her up and move her over to check the eggs. I think I'd watch for when she takes a break and grab them quick.

The sooner she's done with them the sooner she'll get over it.

Just my opinion.

Good Luck!

Cyndi

Back
Top Bottom