Gone Country

guinea-grandma

In the Brooder
Jan 1, 2019
Brooksville, Kentucky
Hey Y'all. Hubby and I retired last year to rural Kentucky. We have always loved animals. We have raised baby squirrels, raccoons, saved baby birds and have had a lifetime of dogs and cats. Currently we have a cockapoo Sophie (inherited), lab mix Ellie (shelter dog), schnauzer Sissy (shelter dog, 16, blind and diabetic). Of course the first thing we wanted to do after getting settled was build a chicken coop. We read a lot of information from this site. We wanted white eggs so we got 4 leg horns. The chicks are just so cute though so we got 5 straight run. They all flourished and we ended up with 3 roosters, RIR (still have him he is great with the hens). Our beautiful Plymouth Rock was killed (coyote we think, he was protecting the flock right before they headed to coop). The pretty Brahma I found a new home ( he was rough on the hens). At current we have a good ratio. Our 3 Leghorns (lost one to some predator), one Brahma(she is really pretty), one Barred Rock (she is sweet). One rooster 5 hens. We are getting 4 or 5 eggs everyday. I give a lot of them away. Now on to the Guinea. I keep reading about them on here and thought wow bug and rodent control. I thought they were kinda cool looking. Ordered 15 mixed colors. They sent 18. We lost two the first few days but the rest did great. Moved them to the enclosure about 3.5 months (lost a couple to their trying to escape). Started letting them roam about 4 months. Figured they would head to the woods and we may not see them again. Nope they stayed right near the house and their pen. Took about two weeks before they moved into the fields and woods. They dont stay there long though. They run back to the house and hang out. Unfortunately they also love the road. We have lost so many to the road it is heart breaking. I will be glad to share my limited experience with anyone.

Hi and welcome to BYC. Thanks for joining us and congrats on your retirement.

This is a useful link of BYC guides to take a look at announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3 I’d suggest including your location using the guide in that link. You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

guinea keets cartoon.gif

Greetings guinea-grandma, Welcome to BYC!:frow
Happy New Year! :ya

Back
Top Bottom