Gonna be cold tonight - Pekin Ducks

Scott Barr

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 7, 2012
Alpharetta, GA
Hi All - Well as many of you know we are new to keeping ducks and tonight is going to be a moderately cold night here in Atlanta (38 degrees) but there is a chance for a freeze this week ... any precautions for the Pekins? Also, as they obviously live outside all year ... any winter advice? Thanks in advance! Scott

They live outside only? do they not have access to shelter? As well, as temps drop you will need to find some way to keep water open so they can drink and clean their nares.

Ey need secure night time housing no matter where you live. Predators WILL eventually find them. Wind break shelters for winter are needed, but it MUST be predator proof.

Chicken wire is NOT predator resistant.

They have secure housing for the nights and are fine in that regard. They question is more around the temperature extremes for Pekins. The water is moving at a rate of 5000 gallons per hour and their pond is 660 gallons so that should not be a freeze challenge here in Atlanta and their pen and duck house are secure although the duck house is open at the door. Thanks.

I'm not sure how old they are so, as long as they are fully feathered, they will be fine. Provide a wind break for them so that they can avoid drafts but still make sure there is adequate ventilation. I'm in N Alabama, near Huntsville and this new to the area so this will be my first time dealing with cold temps (moved from FL). Today I went out and covered some of their windows with old feed bags and added some hay for the geese and younger chickens to sleep in. I'm going to be purchasing more hay to use as windbreaks so I'm hoping to find a good deal on bales but may have to get a 4x5' roll and then I will just make bundles of it to provide more insulation from wind. They should be fine regardless in Atlanta considering people keep ducks, chickens, etc in Canada and Alaska just with more structured housing.

Thanks ... they are 9 months old and fully feathered and their house is a 'dog house' that has windows that are closed. The floor is slightly vented as are the eves of the house but the opening for the door is open. I really think that they will be fine especially with the bedding that is in the house. Thanks for you input.

They have secure housing for the nights and are fine in that regard. They question is more around the temperature extremes for Pekins. The water is moving at a rate of 5000 gallons per hour and their pond is 660 gallons so that should not be a freeze challenge here in Atlanta and their pen and duck house are secure although the duck house is open at the door. Thanks.

wow, that is fantastic! Honestly, ducks love water and until it's REALLY cold they will puddle about quite happily, the key IMO is ensuring they have access to shelter to get out of it all. I'm in Canada and it was a balmy 6C today the ducks were in the pools and loving the mud as it poured rain...

Back
Top Bottom