Gonna get me some baby chicks. Now what?

Well I do need a bottom runner, right? I don't think I could have a flock of only BOs at this point. Perhaps if I hadn't started reading here and realizing that chicken actually CAN be cute (and some even pretty *shockedfacehere*).

I am dreaming up a nice mixed flock. I told DH I would start with six and double that the following year. I'll post when I've decided and y'all can tell me if they'll do nicely together.

Any recs on where to order them from?

My buffs don't get picked on much, but all my breeds were picked for mellow temeprment.

As to first aide suppies, go to your feed store and get:

vet wrap
antibiotic ointment
a good curved syringe for flushing wounds
a disposable scalpel

the feed store might not have these others, but any 'human' supply store should:

tweezers/ hemostats
safety scissors
invisible bandage spray

That's all I have used on my birds for a variety of problems (mostly dog-related injuries) and you'll do fine with that on hand.

Welcome to BYC! Once I decided to get chicks, I spent a lot of time sifting through the site and posting questions like yours. Simply put, this is a great place to be.

I'll agree that getting somne reading material is a good idea. For me, it was important to keep in mind that a well-written and comprehensive books touches on more topics that you're likely to ever encounter. So, don't let that get you down. Keeping chickens is not difficult.

Once I decided to get chicks, I started planning. First, the brooder, then the coop. I spent a lot of time reading books, posting here and talking to folk who have chickens. I didn't order the chicks until I was sure I could finish the coop in time.

I tend to be a bit "overly methodical" according to a certain spouse of mine, but I think that it paid off this time. Good luck to you, we'll see you around!

My advice: don't be intimidated at all about getting chickens. It's really not that hard to take care of them. It takes a little bit of common sense, trial and error, and this forum to learn what to do. BYC has been my greatest resource and it's completely free! You'll get there in know time. First step is figuring out what you want the chickens for (eggs, meat, pets, showing, etc.) and where you live. You will base the breed of chicken on this. Good luck and enjoy your chickens! Just be warned, they seem to multiply!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom