Gonna try my hand at quail

justoldbobo2

Songster
6 Years
Jun 10, 2013
Jena , Louisiana
Had a friend give me some quail eggs for my son and I to try and hatch. He may be more excited than I am. Been interested in them a while. How much different is the incubation than chicken. I usually do dry incubation with chicken.

Have 29 but see couple with cracks

Incubate the same as with chickens but they don't take as long. Lock down at day 14-15 hatch 16-18 depending on conditions. Cracks can be covered with a thin layer of nail polish, but if they go all the way through the membrane the egg will addle and might leak or explode. Candling can help determine if the cracks are too bad to risk incubation. If it looks too severe don't risk your other eggs.

I find hatching quail easier then anything else! You should have a good start!
smile.png
Do you have a brooder and coop/cage ready for them? When I got started I was not prepared because they are soooo much smaller then chickens.

I find hatching quail easier then anything else!  You should have a good start! :)   Do you have a brooder and coop/cage ready for them?  When I got started I was not prepared because they are soooo much smaller then chickens. 

I'm gonna try and get a brooder built for them this week. I'm lookin at different designs

Back
Top Bottom