Good and Bad Points on Runner Ducks?

CluckyJay

Songster
8 Years
Feb 23, 2011
Crossville, Tennessee
I have a drake and was wondering if they are worth having on a homestead? If they are I am gonna get a couple of hens. I know nothing about this breed. Does he look worth breeding? He has white speckles on his head, think he might be a cross? His feet are orange with black lacing.

Last edited:
Runners lay LOTS of eggs.
Runners are entertaining.
Runners can be super friendly (mine about trip me each night on the way to lock them up and anytime they think I might have food (which they always think I have), they run over to me begging - I'm hoping to get the new ducklings like that as well).
Runners come in lots of colors.
Runners are great bug catchers.

He's very handsome and has just the right stature.

I have two IR and I adore them both (one male, one female).

Thanks guys! Are they good meat birds? Do they grow quickly? I am gonna let him cover my muscvoy hens and then eat their babies. Until I get a muscovy drake anyway lol.

Lots of eggs--that is a BIG deal here! YAY!!!

He has an okay stance and the specks of white is common in older black birds. They are not often used for meat birds because they are rather skinny but I'm sure some have had them. Yes they grow fast but not to a butcher size quickly like Meat breeds.
Thanks guys! Are they good meat birds? Do they grow quickly? I am gonna let him cover my muscvoy hens and then eat their babies. Until I get a muscovy drake anyway lol.

Lots of eggs--that is a BIG deal here! YAY!!!

Yea, she said he was 2 or 3. I decided to keep him because his feathers are so nice. They will make great craft things.
big_smile.png
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom