Good Backyard Flock?

AccentOnHakes

Songster
10 Years
Oct 2, 2009
Will these breeds be non-flighty, quiet, and friendly?

Silkie
Brahma
Cochin
EE
Barred Rock
d'Uccle
Leghorn

You can cross Leghorn off that list. My very favorite breed is Barred Plymouth Rock. My Brahma girls are not all that friendly, though not flighty. My bantam Cochin is a sweetie. My EEs and Ameraucanas are probably the quietest girls I have. It's so individual, the quiet aspect of it. I have a hatchery RIR who is a real loudmouth, but my three breeder quality RIR ladies are very quiet. The only one I'd say would not meet most of your criteria is the Leghorn.

Let's see. I actually have had them all, lol.
Cochin
Silkie
EE
Barred Rock

D'uccles and Brahmas are nice birds too but I only have roos in the Brahmas and D'uccles so don't feel like I can tell about them accurately.
Leghorns have always seemed a bit flighty for me.

Well Lets see:
Silkies are usually quiet, calm and social and not flighty however I have a few that are loud and bossy butts.
Leghorns very flighty but dont eat as much as the heavier breeds. I dont recall the noise level its been years since I owned those.
EEs are generally calm and friendly, can be loud, can be quiet depends on the bird. Some hens babble all day and some are silent.
Barred Rocks are friendly, mine hang out by the back door waiting for us to step outside (Along with my Marans). They are quieter than the other birds.
I have not owned the other breeds you listed.

Wow, that was fast! Well, I had a Leghorn last time and it was fine...it was the Wyandottes that went over then fence, actually. :\\ It may have been that she was on the bottom of the pecking order, but she wasn't really loud.

Oh, I am not sure that my definition of flighty and yours were the same. To me flighty are those birds that go crazy trying to get away from you when you go in the pen. But those that can fly are not what I call flighty, lol.

LOL...yeah, I guess when you say "flighty" most assume you mean untamed, doesn't like to be handled, etc. Are you referring to birds that often attempt to "fly the coop"???
Love my barred rock and EE...great qualities. I'm curious as to why you don't have orpingtons on the list...very docile.

Sounds like a good flock to me
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom