1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Good choices?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by playswithfowl, Mar 15, 2009.

1. playswithfowl

playswithfowl One Earth!

Jun 18, 2007
    Oregon
    I am going to get rid of about half of my bantams and get more large sized egg layers to keep up with the people wanting to get eggs from me. Keep in mind this is just a backyard flock nothing on a large scale. I am going to have 10 total. Here are what I want from my layers:
    ~Heritage breeds
    ~Good Layer
    ~No Feathered Feet
    ~Friendly & Calm

These are what I am thinking of, what do you think(the EE and the Maran are the only not heritage ones they are for special egg colors)?

2-RIR
    2-Blue Orpingtons
    2-Delaware
    2-Speckled Sussex
    1-EE, 1-Maran

Thanks, AJ

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Those are good choices but for reliability, you should get a couple of brown leghorns and a couple of sexlinks.

3. playswithfowl

playswithfowl One Earth!

Jun 18, 2007
    Oregon
    I know that the Sex-links and leghorns are good layers but I want to stay clear of the Commercial types. They will also be pets, the eggs are going to be a side thing to help offset feed costs.

4. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Barred Rocks are also a great choice - friendly and curious and good layers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by