Good Evening Everyone

DivaB

In the Brooder
Jul 20, 2016
Ohio
I decided with 12 silkie eggs on the way and getting ready to venture into my first incubation, let alone my first chicks, that I should stop stalking.....lurking, lol and sign up :) I'm sure I'm about to head into many questions I didn't even know I had during this process and look forward to meeting you all.

I'm in central Ohio, now realizing I may not have picked the best breed for cold weather winters, but was sold on how friendly they are supposed to be.

I did make a DIY incubator but got nervous because the humidity was hard to control, and bit the bullet today and purchased an incubator with egg turner. Wow, that was expensive, but I feel more comfortable with that task out of the way since the eggs will be here by Friday. I could not chance the learning curve I was having with humidity on my DIY.

If any of this is like Hammock Forums, hammock camping, and kayaking, then my family should get ready for my new addiction, because I have a feeling this is going to be it big time!! Just kind of got that feeling down in my bones, lol

Chicks are totally addictive and resistance is futile. So relax and come over to the chicken side. Welcome to Backyard chickens.
You may want to visit the "Silkie thread," to see if you have anyone living near you who could mentor you through incubation. Your state thread would be yet another option.

BTW most chickens can handle cold much better than heat. If you have a well built draft free coop with sufficient ventilation, they should be fine.

Hi and welcome to BYC. Having an incubator will not help with chicken maths, but hey, who cares? :) Hope your hatch goes well.

Ct

Chicks are totally addictive and resistance is futile. So relax and come over to the chicken side. Welcome to Backyard chickens.
You may want to visit the "Silkie thread," to see if you have anyone living near you who could mentor you through incubation. Your state thread would be yet another option.

Thank you, I'm glad to be over on the chicken side :) Surprisingly my eggs came this morning, in a completely beat up box. None are cracked, so we'll just have to see. I have them resting right now and trying to figure out the humidity on my pro series incubator, that's not going to well. Thanks for telling me about the other threads too, I didn't know about those.

Back
Top Bottom