Good "Flying" Chickens?

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! I love forums...
big_smile.png

I have Dorkings myself and they are pretty good flyers. They wouldn't have any trouble with a 3' door. My nest boxes are about 3' off the ground and my Dorking lay in them just fine. My Dorkings also roost almost 6' off the ground.

I have a couple of Wyandotte roosters that free range. They have some size to them now, but they still sleep in the rafters of our barn. So I suppose they don't have issues flying either. LOL. Our rafters are probably 8-10'. They sleep up there with our Black Giant rooster.

The silkies need ramps for just about anything. They just don't get any lift with those feathers of their's.

Oh yeah, my hens make their daily 3' jump/flight with their wings clipped. I thought that would slow them down when I was trying to keep them in an uncovered enclosure.. Boy, was I wrong. LOL

-Kim

Mediterranean, light breeds are great flyers. I had White-faced black Spanish, La Fleche, and Andalusians and they would all go way up in the trees. The La Fleche and Spanish especially.

Okay first of all
welcome-byc.gif
. This is what I have and they all fly to at least 5 feet off of the ground to get to my roost in the coop. RIR's, Black Sex Link, Phoenix's, Silver Laced Polish(which is on my avatar), and a White Leghorn. Sorry I know they aren't on your list but most of these are dual purpose and have weight to them. Oops also almost forgot my late great Shelby who was a Barred Rock. She was my buddy.

Okay first of all
welcome-byc.gif
. This is what I have and they all fly to at least 5 feet off of the ground to get to my roost in the coop. RIR's, Black Sex Link, Phoenix's, Silver Laced Polish(which is on my avatar), and a White Leghorn. Sorry I know they aren't on your list but most of these are dual purpose and have weight to them. Oops also almost forgot my late great Shelby who was a Barred Rock. She was my buddy.

LOL. I think it would be much easier to list the breeds that couldn't get over a 3' door.
lol.png

Silkies, for sure.
I have heard that Cochins have trouble.

Those are the only two I can think of.

-Kim

Hahaha! It figures that out of what... 400 or so breeds of chickens... I'd pick one of the two that can't fly 3'!!
lol.png
Oh well, Silkies are cute and all so maybe I'll work something out for them later.

Anyone care to chime in on my coop idea? Does anyone else think the 3' (pretty smooth) door might keep out coons & fox?

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome, talonz!
welcome-byc.gif

Your question reminds me other oft-repeated joke here on the BYC:

Q: How high can a chicken fly?
A: As high as it wants to.

In any event, the folks here have the best knowledge anywhere. There's a lot of good "flyers", but I have heard again and again that Silkies are notorious 'non-flyers".

... And it's reasons like this that I research things (to death, but...).
big_smile.png
I'd rather know too much about something than not enough!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom