Good idea for nest box, I made one, just thought I should share this

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Break an Egg, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14UKPGvd9pE

It's
    made out of some wood and som buckets, I built one all by myself, and I'm not handy at all. I made my buckets only 6 in off the ground and the whole thing is about 22 inches high.

When it's light out, I'll get some pics and post them so you can see it is really easy, I've never built anything, and mine is sturdy and not as crooked as I thought it would be lol

Now to get them to lay in it!

2. Jajika

Jajika Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    Sounds very clever to me. Can't wait to see them. Thanks for sharing.

3. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Great Idea, Thanks for sharing.

4. pawprint2104

pawprint2104 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2010
    SF Bay Area
    I luv it. It's simple, uses readily available supplies, easy to clean, and is water proof! Thanks for sharing [​IMG]

5. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Very cool.

Question though, klutz that I am I can see disaster striking if I tried drilling that screw into the back of the bucket... think, with the frame, that the bucket would stay put with just the one in the front?

6. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Quote:I put 2 in the front and 2 in the back. I screwed them in at an angle and not all the way down. I learned the hard way that if you screw it straight down the screw head part would sink right through the bucket and into the wood. I also changed the design and raised the 1x4's to where they would be around the top of the buckets, and I think this way that if the screws did pop through the plastic, there wouldn't be much wiggle room for those buckets to fall off the frame.

My hens totally checked them out today, but one was still content to lay under the kids wagon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by