Good Idea for Temporary Brooder

Just 3 or 4 serama chicks. A sick silkie is using my brooder. I will need to come up with something different soon as 2 serama hens are sitting on 20 eggs between the 2 of them. Lol

I use one of those large clear plastic totes for my Serama babies. I cut 2 large squares out of the lid & replaced it with hardware cloth wire. The lamp rests right over the wire. Very easy to clean & store in the off-season.

I have one of those too! I also have a 6 ft long brooder my husband made for me which I had him mount to the wall on the inside of the coop for winter. I guess I'll be bringing that in the house soon. How many serama do you have?

I have two play pens that are fantastic for a sick chicken or a grow-out brooder. Do you happen to have one about? Friends with little kids? I just mentioned that I was looking for one @ work...got the two free. Hubby made a top out of chicken wire to keep them contained. If you can find one, pop the sick silkie in it...get your brooder back.

That would be handy! I use a coop that is too small for my big birds as an outside Serama brooder/grow-out once they are bigger. I swore I'd never get into bantams and now I'm completely hooked! I have 13 adults that I kept and have a group of chicks in the brooder with many more hatching over the next two weeks. How about you? (I love the little frizzle!)

Im going to look on Craigslist for used playpens. Such a good idea! Right now I have 23 serama with 11 in the incubator and 20 serama eggs under broody hens. I have 6 laying hens, 5 silkies and 1 wc black polish bantam. :)

That playpen idea is excellent. I may have to do the same. You can never have enough Seramas! To top it all off, right now they're my best layers. The rest of the bunch needs to get in gear or we will be regularly having 6 (wee) egg omelettes vs the normal 3!

Back
Top Bottom