good idea to get a call duckling from a hatchery????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 4hducklover, Jul 19, 2010.

1. 4hducklover

4hducklover Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2010
    hmmm? wondering if getting a duck form a hatchery is a good idea??? and if so where is there a good hatchery in southeast michigan?[​IMG]

2. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    I don't personally know of any hatcheries that have Calls on a regular basis (but I also don't do business on a regular basis with many either)...Calls are very hard to hatch and few people want to sell them at hatchery prices. They simply take too much care to hatch and lay too few eggs in a year for most people to provide them in massive quantities. My best advice would be to contact an NCBA (National Call Breeders Association) member and see what they have for sale. I myself have some available and coming available at this time.

3. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    if you wanted to go the hatchery route the only hatchery that I know of that has Calls is Country Hatchery in Oklahoma City, OK. They only have Whites

4. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

I ordered some from E-Fowl before I knew I was going to get some from DuckLuck !!!
    I canceled the order (they comfirmed) and drove 13 hrs to get my 4 babies ... a week
    later I got an email saying my order was shipped... !!! ugggh... I ordered 4 they sent
    6 and all arrived healthy... I kept them for 3 weeks before I re-homed them... the box
    was not in the best of shape, but the ducks all seemed fine and at 3 weeks they wre
    growing like weeds.... I believe it was the only place I found tht shipped calls... The
    hatchery they came from was in MN......

oh and I got a gray, white, black, pastel...

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  5. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Quote:Babylady4 got some Calls from e-fowl.com this year too - her 6 ducklings all arrived in great shape (she got 3 gray, 1 black-bibbed, 1 solid black, and 1 pastel), and they shipped from Texas (the order was delayed for something like 2 or 3 weeks though, because they were having trouble hatching enough to fulfill it).. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by