Good incubator for first time hatcher.

chicknduck

Songster
9 Years
May 21, 2010
Ohio
I was thinking of involving my 6 and 7 yr old in hatching some eggs. I did it in a school when I was in 4th grade and it was a very nice experience. We have 12 hens so I do not want it to be a new career for me even thou I hear that it is addictive. I just want to hatch a few to add to our flock. Does anyone have a recomendation for an incubator that will work for a decent price. I do not want the kids to be disapointed.

GFQ Genisis. They are a bit more $ than the LG's, but they work great and are easy to use. They have a window top which is great for kids to watch. Mine where glued to it when they started hatching.

Brinsea Octagon 20 is what I have ... it is an incredible incubator as far as ease of use and hatch rate. I put 24 hen eggs in ... when I did the first candle, I culled 2, and then I had a 100% hatch rate ... no joke ... and they all survived and grew up. It keeps it's temperature completely, once you have it set and it's right, it holds the entire time without adjustment. Humidity is easy to deal with, and egg turning is accomplished by shifting the entire incubator forward and back, which is great because you don't handle the eggs, but the kids still get to feel like they are doing it. I cannot speak highly enough of the Brinsea (and by the way, if anyone has another one, 20 or 40, let me know I am in the market).

I have a Little Giant and I am using it right now for my first hatch. I wish I had a set it and forget it kind, but so far so good on the little giant. I also highly recommend getting an egg turner, that saves you so much time and the eggs are properly being turned, I am only saying that cause I am a newbie and I was afraid I wouldn't turn them right or I would forget, Good Luck!!

I have a HovaBator and I will be the first to admit that it's probably not a good first incubator (from my opinion anyway)
barnie.gif
. I think you would be wise to pay for the more expensive Brinsea or Genesis- what you spend on the more expensive incubator will more than make up for the extra time, money and frustration in having to buy more eggs because of the dud batches.

Hope this helps.
woot.gif
Good luck on your hatches. (p.s.- if you are going to buy shipped eggs you might first ask the seller what their shipped eggs hatch rate is)

Quote:
Particularly this year for some reason...it will be impossible for the seller to tell you the shipped hatch rate. The PO has been particularly hard on egg shipments this year...no one can ascertain exactly what the problem is.

If you are a new hatcher, it's probably best to either hatch your own eggs or buy them locally from someone.

Quote:
That is great advice! I wish someone would have suggested that to me. i wasted a lot of money last year trying to establish my flock from shipped eggs. If you check your local Craigslist listings, you may be able to find a good source.

I would recommend building your own. If you only plan on doing this once (or maybe more) you probably don't want to invest the money in an expensive incubator. In my opinion, homemade incubators can be just as effective as a store-bought one. Your kids may also think it is cool to help build it. I assembled my incubator for around $20 and am having success with it.

I would very much agree that you should try to find local eggs. I have had horrible luck with shipped eggs. At first I thought it was my incubator, and then I put in some of my own eggs and am having hatch rates around 90%. If I lived closer I would give you some.

Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom