Good Laying Breed

There are many good laying breeds out there. How would you raise them? Freerange? In a coop with run? Are they only for laying? Do you want any for meat? What kind of weather do you have?

Hi. they would not be free range, just because we only have 1 acker of land so they would be out in the yard sometimes but mostly in the coop. and yes they also would have a run. only for laying yes. my current residence in Illinois dose not have very bad winters and occasionally hot summers.

welcome-byc.gif

This article from the Learning Center might help you decide what breed works best for you:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...cken-guide-to-picking-backyard-chicken-breeds

You could also get some input from the other members in your state. Just type your state name in the search box and the state thread should come up.

Have fun selecting your flock!

If you want lots of eggs and don't care about meat - i'd go with White Leghorns. They have a great food/egg conversion ratio and lay really well (in GA mine haven't taken a break for the winter). Jumbo eggs 6 or 7 days a week - the White Leghorn is really amazing with egg laying efficiency. Note: They lay white eggs.

Only concern i'd have up in IL is that it may be a bit cold for them in the winter (they have large combs that can get frostbite). There are a lot of other great breeds, but given where you are i'd also consider Red Stars (Red Sex Links - aka Red comets) or Rhode Island Reds. Both efficient layers and hardy birds. The red's (RIR and Red Star) are going to be more cold hardy than the Leghorns but probably a little less efficient on feed to egg production.

There are a bunch of breeds you can choose from - the article referenced in the post above is a great place to start.

Good luck

Welcome and good luck with your selection! I'm in Nebraska and have RIReds. The first winter they never stopped laying but the second winter was only about every other day or so. They are a great choice breed for us. Good luck!

I'm in Iowa. Right at the intersection of Iowa, Illinois and Wisconsin. Just a head's up, Those Leghorns have a thin comb and are prone to frostbite. Perhaps your in southern IL so it won't be a concern. The Road Island Red would be a good choice. You might consider the Barred Rock or Australorp.

Good luck, enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom