Good Laying Breed

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mightymidnight1, Mar 28, 2016.

1. mightymidnight1

mightymidnight1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2016
    middle of no where
    Hello, I am new here and I need to know the best laying breed for a family of 13 plz share any info thanks!!!

2. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    There are many good laying breeds out there. How would you raise them? Freerange? In a coop with run? Are they only for laying? Do you want any for meat? What kind of weather do you have?

3. mightymidnight1

Mar 22, 2016
    middle of no where
    Hi. they would not be free range, just because we only have 1 acker of land so they would be out in the yard sometimes but mostly in the coop. and yes they also would have a run. only for laying yes. my current residence in Illinois dose not have very bad winters and occasionally hot summers.

4. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  5. JoshFig

JoshFig Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2015
    If you want lots of eggs and don't care about meat - i'd go with White Leghorns. They have a great food/egg conversion ratio and lay really well (in GA mine haven't taken a break for the winter). Jumbo eggs 6 or 7 days a week - the White Leghorn is really amazing with egg laying efficiency. Note: They lay white eggs.

Only concern i'd have up in IL is that it may be a bit cold for them in the winter (they have large combs that can get frostbite). There are a lot of other great breeds, but given where you are i'd also consider Red Stars (Red Sex Links - aka Red comets) or Rhode Island Reds. Both efficient layers and hardy birds. The red's (RIR and Red Star) are going to be more cold hardy than the Leghorns but probably a little less efficient on feed to egg production.

There are a bunch of breeds you can choose from - the article referenced in the post above is a great place to start.

Good luck

6. mightymidnight1

Mar 22, 2016
    middle of no where
    ok thank you

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

9. ilovethisday

ilovethisday New Egg

Oct 23, 2015
    Welcome and good luck with your selection! I'm in Nebraska and have RIReds. The first winter they never stopped laying but the second winter was only about every other day or so. They are a great choice breed for us. Good luck!

10. Mr BrahmaRama

Mr BrahmaRama Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2015
    Dubuque, Iowa
    My Coop
    I'm in Iowa. Right at the intersection of Iowa, Illinois and Wisconsin. Just a head's up, Those Leghorns have a thin comb and are prone to frostbite. Perhaps your in southern IL so it won't be a concern. The Road Island Red would be a good choice. You might consider the Barred Rock or Australorp.

Good luck, enjoy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by