Good morning from rainy Washington!

flickerloo

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 27, 2013
NW Washington
Hi!

Just joined today and ready to dig into the forums! So a little introduction...

My grandma was a chicken and dairy farmer, and so I grew up with chickens. My parents tried having chickens, but eventually the neighbor's dogs broke into the coop and, well, that ended that. I've wanted to have chickens for a long time, but I live on a small lot in a large town, and it never seemed ok. But then the urban chicken movement came along, and finally a neighbor and I took the plunge together.

We have a small coop and generous chicken yard in my yard with 5 hens. Four of the girls came from a woman who was looking to get out of chickens and into ducks. The other was a lonely gal at a local farm store. All five are about 1 1/2 years old. The four are are a mystery mix. The rooster was supposedly Americauna. But the eggs are medium-sized light brown. The other is a rather flighty golden spangled Hamburg that has laid small white eggs, but currently has stopped laying, possibly due to stress. I've had them for almost a month, and they are finally settling in. Took awhile for the four to accept the hamburg.

Anyway, that's my very brief intro. Looking forward to chatting,

welcome-byc.gif

Hello from Jacksonville FL - This is My Gramma from the Great State of Washington with her chickens.

Glad to have you join us.

Caroline

The four hens just emerged from a molt at the time I got them. I'm thinking that maybe the Hamburg is going into molt, though she doesn't show signs of feather loss yet

Welcome from College Station, Texas. Please send some of your extra rain our way. We've got some curious mixtures at our house too.

Hope your girls get settled in and de-stressed enough to start laying eggs regularly.

Back
Top Bottom