1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Good reliable temp controller for incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by blucoondawg, Nov 21, 2015.

1. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    I'm thinking about finally building a cabinet incubator this winter and am wondering what the opinions are of various control systems, I have read both good and bad on the incubator warehouse incukits, have they been improved or are there other options?

2. gpop1

gpop1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2015
    if you can connect some jumper wires from point to point then I would suggest looking at using a arduino micro controller. I know that it looks complicated but with some assistance from people with the same interests we can help you assemble and write code to control anything,

arduino uno clone $5
    dht22 temp and humidity sensor $7
    dual relay $3
    7 seg led driver plus leds $2
    premade cables $6

the great thing with arduino is skys the limit

If you want a few more temp sensors ($2 each) that's no problem, If you want a lcd screen instead of 7 segment leds then that's only a few bucks more.

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I've only heard good things from folks I trust here on BYC about the table top sized incubator kit. I don't see how but maybe the larger unit is not as reliable.

Can't think of everyone here I know uses that kit but do remember Fred's Hens has one. Might be worth a PM to get his thoughts on the unit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by